Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

700R4 stuck in drive

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hey everyone,

I tried to back out of a parking spot. I was very surprised to find out that with the car in reverse, it went forward. I was even more surprised to find out that with the car in neutral, it went forward. In park it tries to move forward, but can't.

So what can cause a transmission to get stuck in drive regardless of the gear shift position?

All ideas are appreciated!!!!

Hey everyone,

I tried to back out of a parking spot. I was very surprised to find out that with the car in reverse, it went forward. I was even more surprised to find out that with the car in neutral, it went forward. In park it tries to move forward, but can't.

So what can cause a transmission to get stuck in drive regardless of the gear shift position?

All ideas are appreciated!!!!

I had the same problem with a TH-350 years ago.

The cable has slipped off the linkage under the car. You'll need to crawl under and slip the end's eye over the arm. I think there is a cotter pin that may have come off and that is why you are stuck in gear.

Easy fix.

Below is a TH-350. The side with the linkage is the same on a 700R4. The arm is what actually moves the transmission in and out of gear. The cable moves the arm.

th350-cleaned.jpg

Can you feel the shifter clicking into the different gears? If so, the cable is connected.
In park it doesn't move, but in all other gears it goes forward?
If the cable is still hooked up and the lever is moving, then you have a stuck valve in the control body.
With the engine off, put it in neutral. That will dis-engage the parking pawl.
You should be able to push the car backward out of the parking spot.
Then you can get it home.
It may even un-stick itself along the way, or it may be stuck in first gear.
Flip a coin.

Can you feel the shifter clicking into the different gears? If so, the cable is connected.
In park it doesn't move, but in all other gears it goes forward?
If the cable is still hooked up and the lever is moving, then you have a stuck valve in the control body.
With the engine off, put it in neutral. That will dis-engage the parking pawl.
You should be able to push the car backward out of the parking spot.
Then you can get it home.
It may even un-stick itself along the way, or it may be stuck in first gear.
Flip a coin.

Good workaround. Thanks, I may need to remember that.

No, I can't feel it clicking into the different gears.

Yeah, I had to turn off the engine and push it out of the spot.
Thank god I wasn't on a hill and it got stuck in "D" and not "R".

I'll take a look tomorrow and see if the cable came disconnected.
I really, really hope it is something that simple.

No such luck.
I looked under the car and had my wife shift through the gears. The arm on the transmission did move, so it isn't a linkage problem.
It looks like whatever my problem is, it is inside the transmission.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Same problem here,700r4 stuck in drive.

Has there been an update on the issues minifridge 1138 been experiencing? because I am having the exact same problem with my 88 700r4.

Has there been an update on the issues minifridge 1138 been experiencing? because I am having the exact same problem with my 88 700r4.

I guess I forgot to post my solution.

It turns out that the linkage detached from the inside of the transmission.
The linkage on the outside moves an arm. The arm goes into the pan and moves a valve.
The arm came detached from the valve.
There is supposed to be a small clip that holds the arm to the valve and that broke. I found a replacement at Napa for about ¢99.
Drop the transmission pan (messy but easy) and take a look. It will be very obvious if it has become detached.
I don't remember th kind of clip, but it was nothing I had ever seen before.
It is also a good time to replace the transmission fluid filter since you're already in there.

Good luck!!!

700r4 stuck in drive

will do. Thanks so much.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom