Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 72 corvette color descisions

najar28

I am picking up my first corvette (1972) and I am up in the air with what color to paint the car. I love black but it is too high maintanence of a color. I'm also not a red car kind of guy and the rest of the 72 colors don't interest me too much, except for steel cities gray (but it still doesn't excite me). I have been thinking about giving it an updated color. I have seen the 2003 corvette med. spiral gray metallic and it looks great and I think the chrome would look real nice with the paint. I have also thought about going just a bit darker with dark spiral gray metallic (2005-2006 suburban), because it is close to black but not quite. Any suggestions?????

I am picking up my first corvette (1972) and I am up in the air with what color to paint the car. I love black but it is too high maintanence of a color. I'm also not a red car kind of guy and the rest of the 72 colors don't interest me too much, except for steel cities gray (but it still doesn't excite me). I have been thinking about giving it an updated color. I have seen the 2003 corvette med. spiral gray metallic and it looks great and I think the chrome would look real nice with the paint. I have also thought about going just a bit darker with dark spiral gray metallic (2005-2006 suburban), because it is close to black but not quite. Any suggestions?????
Medium Spiral Grey Sure Polishes up Nice!!But so does Black!!
:D:D:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

:upthumbs :D :cool

Jetstream Blue is VERY NICE!!!!!!
Comercial break - Pats just scored 7 - 3 Pats.

for my car I am leaning now towards the maroon family. I was going to go green with black just for something different but right now I am headed to one of these colors:
http://www.corvetteblog.com/CrystalRedMetallicTintcoat2008Corvette.JPG
crystal red metallic **
milano maroon aka marlboro maroon
http://www.heritageclassics.com/jaguar/68etypeburg2/A1.jpg
opalescent maroon (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/carlist_Details.aspx?&In_LotNumber=1235.1)looked better on tv than in these photos

I have new seats in the silver/light gray color so that sort of rules out some colors for exterior otherwise I could go with any color.

I actually love blue but I am sick of having a blue car. My next daily ride will probably be white.

Do you have any pictures of a corvette in jetstream blue??
Jetstream blue is a color that's new to this years 2008 lineup. You can view pictures of cars in this color on the Chevy (Corvette) homepage, but the pictures don't do the color justice. It's an absolutely beautiful color but you can't see the metalic, or actual hue unless you see it in person - up close.
Go to a chevy dealership and see if they have a vette in this color.

Thanks.
I've seen a new chevy color this year and it's graystone metallic. It is a nice looking color, but I don't know whether the color will blend in with the chrome of the car. We'll see....

Its primered down right now. The original color is steel cities gray and I have seen some nice cars lately with that color so I'm thinking of going to the original color.

for my car I am leaning now towards the maroon family. I was going to go green with black just for something different but right now I am headed to one of these colors:
http://www.corvetteblog.com/CrystalRedMetallicTintcoat2008Corvette.JPG
crystal red metallic **
milano maroon aka marlboro maroon
http://www.heritageclassics.com/jaguar/68etypeburg2/A1.jpg
opalescent maroon (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/carlist_Details.aspx?&In_LotNumber=1235.1)looked better on tv than in these photos

Any of those colors would look great! I will have to live vicariously through your choice!

As far as najar28 & gray vs. black. Black is cool but is a ***** to keep clean. I would vote for gray.

SAVE THE :w

Thanks for the vote. I am leaning that way also, but I want a cool looking gray, not a dull battleshipe gray.

I think that most shades of silver/gray make the lines of the corvette stand out more, gives it more of an edgier look. I love corvettes in all colors but I always revert back to silver. I own a 2007 Z06 Machine Silver and a Dark Blue 1981 which I plan on painting it in the same color family as Machine Silver maybe a shade darker. These are only my opinions and you know what they say about opinions. Anyway what really matters is not what we think about the color, It's what your gut tells you what to do. You need to be excited about the color, not what kind of maintenance it might need or what someone else would like. You need to paint the car the color that will make you open up the garage door before you go to work just to get a look at your car. A color that will always put a smile on your face. Go with what your heart tells you to do and you will never go wrong. Make sure that you post your picture when you get your vette painted. I am very excited for you. Good luck.

All the best,
Marc
Irvine,CA.

I have a 78 in black and I love the shine that a good black paint job gets. It also seems to hide the little chips that you get a little better.

My wife has a super glossy red 96. It's a beautiful car but everyone has a red vette!

My old LT4 was silver. It was kind of a dull looking color sitting next to the other two but it really came to life at night when it would catch and reflect the street lights.....especially if it had a light rain...made it look awsome. It is definately the easiest car to keep looking clean as it hides alot of dust. I prefer driving rather than cleaning. LOL. LT4man's pic shows where the slver really stands out under lights.. Nice pic.

Out of the 3 colors, I love my black 78. it's just such a pain in the ass to keep clean...but it's worth it.

Almost any color looks good on a vette. Definately better than primer!

2008 Velocity Yellow!

What color is your interior?

Whatever you paint her, make sure everyone can see it from a mile away!

I think that most shades of silver/gray make the lines of the corvette stand out more, gives it more of an edgier look. I love corvettes in all colors but I always revert back to silver. I own a 2007 Z06 Machine Silver and a Dark Blue 1981 which I plan on painting it in the same color family as Machine Silver maybe a shade darker. These are only my opinions and you know what they say about opinions. Anyway what really matters is not what we think about the color, It's what your gut tells you what to do. You need to be excited about the color, not what kind of maintenance it might need or what someone else would like. You need to paint the car the color that will make you open up the garage door before you go to work just to get a look at your car. A color that will always put a smile on your face. Go with what your heart tells you to do and you will never go wrong. Make sure that you post your picture when you get your vette painted. I am very excited for you. Good luck.

All the best,
Marc
Irvine,CA.

Thanks for the response. I am so consumed with colors right now, it's ridiculous.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom