Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 72 Stingray Oil Sending Unit

pdhj1990

Corvette
1972 Steel City Grey Coupe
I have a 1972 Stingray - 350 - 4sp. Today, I noticed the oil pressure gage was flucuating pretty sporadically. It could either be the gage or the oil pressure sending unit.

Where is the oil pressure sending unit located on a 72 stingray? Also, is this a pretty easy fix?

Paul

Paul,
The line uses a special farrel so I would get a complete kit from Paragon if you need one.
There is a fitting in the block under the distributor, a nylon line from there goes direct to the gauge. There are little plastic cushions on the back of the gauge,my 69 gauge stopped working one day and when I finally checked it found the cushions fell off and jammed in the gauge baffle. I reglued them and solved the problem.
Check for a leak at the block fitting

Thanks Gary. I located the fitting and line on the engine block. However, I haven't had the time to look behind the dash to check out the gage.
Do you any suggestions on the best way to get behind the dash? Also, are there any other parts other than the line and fittings? Finally, I've used another site for ordering parts that you too might find helpful - Dr. Rebuild http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/aaa-home.html This site has great schematics.

Paul

I remove the pass pad, then work on the center gauge bezel. The tubing is routed through the firewall to the gauge.

Thanks Gary. It's been a long time since I owned a car that required frequent maintenance. I remeber my 1968 GTO when I was in high school. It too required time and attention. The only difference is now I have a wife and kids and limited time.
Although my 72 Vette was restored about 3 years ago, items still break.
Thanks again.
Paul

I agree with the previous posts. I did the same install about a year back. The gage cluster is the hardest part. Only tip I can add is cut the fitting off the old line, tape/tie to new line and feed from the engine compartment side using the old line to feed the new line to the gage. That way after you dress the line any excess can be cut off engine side.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom