Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 vette

pizza3260

Corvette
73 350 coupe
when i go for a long run 50 miles, my car will not start / crank / untill it cools down for about 1hr. whats up

If you mean it won't crank, it's probably a weak starter solenoid, or the positive and negative cable ends need to be cleaned for good contact (or both).

:beer

If you mean it won't crank, it's probably a weak starter solenoid, or the positive and negative cable ends need to be cleaned for good contact (or both).

:beer
will not crank untill it cools down

Starter getting "heated" by exhaust?

-Mac

It's called heat soak and it has happened to others (one of whom is me). A stronger spring in the starter solenoid will do the trick.

:)

Heat Soak is correct!

Yes, this has happened to me as well. No fun in the middle of Wyoming at some barren rest stop.:eyerole

My solution was to replace the starter with a lifetime guarantee one. For purists, I kept the original and used another old Chevy starter as a core. Recommend you get a starter used in 1) 3/4 ton truck-same year or 2) Impala wagon same year. These starters are tough and heavy-duty. I also wrapped mine with a blanket to ward off the heat. I got the velcro one, but I also bought those long stainless steel zip ties as I wasn't too confident in the velcro over the long term. Here's a link:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...=starter+blanket&searchinresults=false&N=+115

So, for a couple of hours and about $120 I cured my problem. Suggest you also clean the terminals (since you are in the battery box to disconnect power) and check your ground connections (remove/clean/replace). My engine mount to frame strap was also slightly loose. Oh-one other thing-I also got one of those spark plug heat boots, cut out the little metal ring, and ran that along the solenoid wires. No more heat soak issues here! :)

Rick
:gap

Yes, this has happened to me as well. No fun in the middle of Wyoming at some barren rest stop.:eyerole

My solution was to replace the starter with a lifetime guarantee one. For purists, I kept the original and used another old Chevy starter as a core. Recommend you get a starter used in 1) 3/4 ton truck-same year or 2) Impala wagon same year. These starters are tough and heavy-duty. I also wrapped mine with a blanket to ward off the heat. I got the velcro one, but I also bought those long stainless steel zip ties as I wasn't too confident in the velcro over the long term. Here's a link:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...=starter+blanket&searchinresults=false&N=+115

So, for a couple of hours and about $120 I cured my problem. Suggest you also clean the terminals (since you are in the battery box to disconnect power) and check your ground connections (remove/clean/replace). My engine mount to frame strap was also slightly loose. Oh-one other thing-I also got one of those spark plug heat boots, cut out the little metal ring, and ran that along the solenoid wires. No more heat soak issues here! :)

Rick
:gap

thanks will do

I ordered one for a 96 chevy truck ,light wieght high tourqe and ive havent a starting issue since.

I ordered one for a 96 chevy truck ,light wieght high tourqe and ive havent a starting issue since.

i guss you did it, will it fit right into my 73 / 350 / 400 turbo transimmsion without alterations

:)

The correct starter for your engine and transmission combo,is all you need. No need to substitute anything else.

1108430 was the original part number, any parts store can cross reference that to an interchange number. They will most likely have one in stock or get it the same day.

If the starter you pull off is the original, consider holding on to it and having it rebuilt.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom