Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

74' Vette Seat Belt Problems - Help!!!

I

igasper10

I'm restoring a 74' L-48. I'm having problems with the passenger side seat belt. I think this was the first year the lap belt & shoulder harness came together as one unit, so the design isn't that great anyway. Its stuck from the floor retractor fully retracted & locked. The shoulder harness retractor is fine. The driver's side one was the same at first, but I just gave it a good tug & it works fine now. No such luck with this side! Do I have to remove the seat to get at the retractor assembly on the floor? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanx!

Ian - ;shrug

Ian,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with the 1968-1982 generation of Corvettes, but I can tell you that 1974 was indeed the first year that the shoulder belts were incorporated with lap belts to form a one piece belt system.

I'm sure the other members that frequent this forum will be able to help you get the problem fixed. Hang tight. :)

Ian,

My husband and I just sold our '74 roadster, but I'm afraid I can't help you out with your seat belt dilemma!! I'm sure someone will pipe in shortly with some advice, though. Hang in there!

Elaine

Ian,
The retractor sits in a sump under the seat. You will have to remove the seat, the sill plates and pull up the carpet. There is a plastic cover over the retractor. Because this is the low spot in the body water has collected here over the yearsand it rusts the retractors. You may luck out and be able to clean them up and maybe with some silicone spray get it working again. Don't count on it.
There are some outfits that can rebuild them (not cheap!).
You may also find a replacement on Ebay. Also not cheap and depends on the color you need. I have seen NOS units go in the 400.00 dollar range. I picked up a set of used but good black ones for 200.00.
I have never tried to fix the ones that came in my car but I have been told there are some springs in them that are under a lot of tension and that it should not be attempted.

You might also need to buy the reinforcement plate that it is bolted to undeneath the car. The bolt might be rusted to the point that you will need to grind off the head of the bolt to get them off, my 1973 back in the 1980's I had to and back then the seat belts were hard to find and buy any way. I am in need of finding them but will also need the plate that is the reinforcment plate that is riveted in place. I am not currently driving it but hope to again in future. Good Luck...

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. Several years ago I was lucky and got the retractors working in my wife's father's '74. They were only lightly rusted but were very dry. Can't remember what the magic trick was but I spent a lot of time lubing and just working them til they released.

Good luck.

Tom

I had the same problem on my 76 and 77!! But the only problem was they were not repairable. When I took out the seat and all, they were rusted out. I was really surprised because my 77 was really a well taken care of car , but the passenger side one was almost rusted to the floor!!! No other rust on the 77, just in there!! Good luck with your project.

GIT R DONE_________________________BORDERBUM

Whatever you do, make sure you are very careful with the belt and you clothing after you lubricate it and get it to travel again. I have myself, and seen others that ended up messing up a nice pair of slacks or shirt because they pulled the belt out, snapped it on, only to realize later it was soaked through with penetrating oil!

It is best if you can simply replace them.

If you are looking for a factory correct job, then I suggest you do as mentioned.

Otherwise, have some fun with it. Seatbelts have come a long way since 1974 and the junkyard is just full of all kinds of cars. I am sure there is something out there that would retrofit into the C3.

The biggest problem I have with these in general, is they are simply anchored into the fiberglass. There is a cable in the center for the latch section. That cable is attached to the frame. It is attached with a piece of steel that is simply bent in a hook to grab the cable. In a decent collision, those belts are not going to hold.

Sombody should come up with a flate steel plate that would bolt to the belly of the frame, run all the way under the seats and around the exhaust and provide a real anchor for them to attach.

Until them we do the best we can with what we have.

SEAT BELT HELP - THANX!!!

Thanx to everybody for their advice. I'll probably pull the seat & take a look sometime this week. Thanx again!!!

Ian

hi ian
i just got my seatbelts re-done. as posted by gw74 this is expensive!! mine were not rusted just old, frayed and not looking too safe. i sent them out to tx (snake oyyl) for full refurbish and a color change (redoing the interior slowly) it was about 400$$
but they work like new, re-chromed metal, new webbing etc
good luck
mike

woobie1966,

WOW, That is some $$$$$. It stinks when VETTE runs in the veins!!!!

PROJECT DONE!!!

I pulled the seat yesterday to look at the floor retractor. Everything was in really good shape except for the spool. It had some rust caked on the side that was preventing the belt from rolling up freely. I just took a wire brush to it & worked the spool back and forth a few times and it broke any remaining rust loose. It works fine now. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Ian - :cool

Ian,

Congratulations on solving your problem...and at no $$!!!! That's the best news!

Elaine

Glad everything worked out.

Tom

glad to hear your fix was not $$. one thing though some of the posts mentioned the rusting of the seatbelts as being a problem with those years due to placement. maybe there is a way to keep water out, a gasket?...
just to avoid future problems
mike

I did about the same thing last year. The retractor had rust on both sides of the metal spools. I used brushes and a dremel tool to remove the rust, then I used powered graphite to lube. The graphite won't cake up with dirt, or dry out like oil would.

I then spent about an hour working the belt back and forth. So far so good...

It isn't perfect. The belt can get caught up on the plastic guide, or that steel bar. You also have to let the belt fully retract or it will not come out. (I think this is part of the design)

Too bad the belt is so chewed up. I'll have to replace them all together at some point.

Just last week the driver's side stuck and won't go all the way back in. Looks like i'll have to try the same process on that one.

-Gööney0

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom