Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'76 Vette

MiMitch

Corvette
1996 Coupe
Sorry I posted the question in the C4 Tech. forum. My sister and brother-in-law have a '76 Vette with HEI. He repaired 2 (red) wires going into the top of the alternator, since then the vette won't start. He checked the spark and said it was orange in color rather than the white/blue it should be. Is it possible that he fried something in the HEI (condensor)? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I going out there on Sunday to try to help them out. Thanks in advance for any help, MiMitch

If there is any question about the alternator, disconnect it. I think the wire you describe are for the regulator. If they are disconnected the alternator won't produce any charge.

There should be enought juice in the battery to start the car.

A more improtant question is why did he have to repair those wires? What else was involved?

MiMitch said:
Sorry I posted the question in the C4 Tech. forum. My sister and brother-in-law have a '76 Vette with HEI. He repaired 2 (red) wires going into the top of the alternator, since then the vette won't start. He checked the spark and said it was orange in color rather than the white/blue it should be. Is it possible that he fried something in the HEI (condensor)? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I going out there on Sunday to try to help them out. Thanks in advance for any help, MiMitch
I stopped at my sister's house and took a look at the car. The spark is definitely orange and not blue/white. We took the Engine Control Module and had it checked, and it was good. The capacitor(condenser) that connects to the ECM is new and none of the wires are frayed. Tried to check the pick-up coil like the showed in the Haynes manual and according to them it appears to be bad. My question is: Does the pick-up coil go bad all of a sudden or does it go bad gradually? Could that be the problem or did I do something wrong when I checked it? Again any help is greatly appreciated, MiMitch

Low battery voltage will cause a weak spark. I never have had much luck testing modules and coils. If everything else looks right to you then you may need a professional to test it. That will cost you as much as a new performance unit (Accell module,coil cap and rotor). Fully charge your battery and if it won't work, just get the good stuff and put it in. Just make sure you wired that alternator correctly.

What about taking out the # 1 cylinder plug, and have someone turn the engine over while you "ground" out the plug. Watch for a spark from the plug. If it sparks, I don't think you really need to look further into the distributer just yet. If it sparks at all, then you should have enough to at least get the car started.

ruby76 said:
What about taking out the # 1 cylinder plug, and have someone turn the engine over while you "ground" out the plug. Watch for a spark from the plug. If it sparks, I don't think you really need to look further into the distributer just yet. If it sparks at all, then you should have enough to at least get the car started.[/QUOT

I received a call from my sister on Sat. afternoon and she said that she received an e-mail from someone to apply di-electric(?) grease to the rubber(nylon) washer in the HEI distributor. They did and the engine started. She said it was running rough,but at least it was running. She said the e-mail said the coil built up a magnetic field and w/o the grease to act as an insulator it wouldn't run.
Thanks again for all your time and help with this problem, MiMitch

That's good news. Now that you mention it, I've seen my neighbors HEI burn up the coil b/c of a lack of that grease. We had to replace the coil. You never think of this stuff till someone else mentions it ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom