Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'78 paintjob - almost done!!! YAY

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
well, I got lucky, after studying the car my painter decided that he didn't need to sand off and respray the clearcoat after all as he thought last week he was probably going to have to.

The car is nor all wetsanded and buffed out and reassembly has begun.

There are still a few minor items to finish regarding actual paintwork - he is going to respray the rocker molding panels with black paint to freshen them up and also hit the wheel wells with black paint to freshen them up also.

There is still some reassembly required of course as you can see in the pics and the car needs a thorough cleaning as it's dirty from the wetsanding and buffing but I think she should be back home in my garage by the end of the week!

http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/page135/page189/page189.html

Almost done........ YAY!!!!

oh wait, it's almost done, now i have to pay for this...... NOT yay!! ;LOL

Me too ;) too bad it has the green house, My Wife likes that body style but doesn't want to spend her money to buy one. She has had me contact several owners but can't make up her mind then the car gets sold ;LOL
I guess she needs to drive 81KIXX again.

Hey Bud..wouldn't be surprised if she sells real quick on the 25th!!!

Andy

BarryK said:
well, I got lucky, after studying the car my painter decided that he didn't need to sand off and respray the clearcoat after all as he thought last week he was probably going to have to.

The car is nor all wetsanded and buffed out and reassembly has begun.

There are still a few minor items to finish regarding actual paintwork - he is going to respray the rocker molding panels with black paint to freshen them up and also hit the wheel wells with black paint to freshen them up also.

There is still some reassembly required of course as you can see in the pics and the car needs a thorough cleaning as it's dirty from the wetsanding and buffing but I think she should be back home in my garage by the end of the week!

http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/page135/page189/page189.html

Almost done........ YAY!!!!

oh wait, it's almost done, now i have to pay for this...... NOT yay!! ;LOL

thanks Bob! :)

Craig, bring the wife to Carlisle with you and she can drive this one and even buy it if she likes it! the car will be over in the Car Corral for sale unfortunately.

Andy, I can only hope! :)

The car looks great Barry! You should have no trouble finding your buyer in the near future.

thanks Brian :)
I have my fingers crossed for good luck at Carlisle.
Linda told me though that if we don't get a buyer at Carlisle at the price we want for the car we (SHE) are keeping it. Oh boy..... it better sell or I better have better luck finding a job fast! :)

so what are you lookin to get for it?

I'm in the minority around here I look for the cheap cars that I can fix myself, none of this "buy the newest you can afford" for me.
I'd have bought a 72 but he didn't like my offer too much rust for what he wants for it. I am supprised at how many "project" Vettes are out there.
the problem is so many people think they are worth $20,000 when they need $15,000 work to bring them up to that condition yet they still want $10,000-15,000 for the car.

but then I hve been outbid on the last two cars I've bid on ;)

Barry if I was you and my Wife said that I'd be Greetin' people at Wal-mart to keep her happy.

67HEAVEN said:
That photo of Craig pointing the double-barrel at the camera just went through my mind. ;LOL

Welcome to Wal-mart............ :eek

Ya mean this one?
73621382-DSC01968.JPG

maybe Barry will lower his price after seeing it. ;LOL

Craig

I know what you are looking for and so my car probably isn't for you. I already did all the work and effort to get it fixed up.
with it's condition, low milage, and documentation I'm looking for top dollar on a '78. Sorry, point the shotgun at me all you want - it's not getting me to lower my price! :)

hmmm, I might run into you if you visit the local Walmart though...... :eek:

I've told u this before..U have to open up your own shop!! Call it:

Kimmelmans Custom Cars!!!!!

Andy

BarryK said:
Craig

I know what you are looking for and so my car probably isn't for you. I already did all the work and effort to get it fixed up.
with it's condition, low milage, and documentation I'm looking for top dollar on a '78. Sorry, point the shotgun at me all you want - it's not getting me to lower my price! :)

hmmm, I might run into you if you visit the local Walmart though...... :eek:

Andy said:
I've told u this before..U have to open up your own shop!! Call it:

Kimmelmans Custom Cars!!!!!

Andy

yeah right! ;LOL
I'd have to know what the h*ll i'm doing first. You of all people should know i don't have a clue and I'm learning and figuring out what to do and how to do it on each and every step I take.
Hmmm, lets see now, it's still a few weeks shy of a year (last year at Carlisle) that I needed help from 4 or 5 different people just to swap out my fan clutch on my '65 and that's only 4 bolts!
The only way i've managed to progress at all beyond that is with the help of everyone on here and i'm still clueless ;LOL

update: 8/2/06

well, I'm deliberately NOT going to visit the paint shop today. Just going to let the painter do what still nneeds to get done plus I know he has a small rush job on another car he was working on later yesterday that he probably needs to finish up today but when I was at the shop yesterday afternoon the car was almost completeld.

the door panels and rest of the interior were back together and most of the exterior moldings and emblems were reinstalled.
Still needed the front spoiler/airdam reintalled plus the front nose grills, side marker lights, and nose emblem plus he still needs to respray the rocker moldings and wheel wells to give them a fresh look.

so close though, so close!! After waiting 10 months on my '65 paint job, this car only being about a month is like nothing at all!!
I think we are still looking good to have the car home by the end of this week :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom