Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'78 Paintjob - we have color!

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
well, he got the car painted yesterday after sanding the primer over the weekend and has been letting the paint cure up from yesterday afternoon and thru today. When I showed up this afternoon and saw it in paint he had just rolled it back into the shop from the outside where he had it curing under the sun all day. He only brought it in so early because it looked like it was going to rain.

It looks pretty good! There are some dust nibs and a 2 or 3 small runs but it's only in the clearcoat and it will come out easily with the wet sanding.
Tomorrow is wet sanding and buffing and by Thrusday afternoon it should be ready for reassembly.
He is aiming to have the car done by the end of the week if all goes without any problems.
I have my fingers crossed!

here are the pictures from this afternoon:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/page135/page185/page185.html

Are you puttin the pace car fin back on? Looks good!
zachh

it's not a Pace Car - just a '78 L82 25th anni. not even the silver anni paint option.
It's Dark Blue Metallic color

I like the color. This fall/ winter im gonna paint mine in a pace car 2 tone. except instead of silver, ill most likely use a bluish color like yours!
zachh
ITS NOT THE FALL THAT KILLS YA, ITS THE SUDDEN STOP!

thanks zachh
it's the stock color of Dark Blue metallic so it's easy to get the formula- your painter shouldn't have any trouble

Very nice...

That will draw attention for sure!:upthumbs

Chas

Looking very good.. Cant wait to see the final product. Hopefully you'll get her sold for what you want this time.. :upthumbs

:w
-Stefan

thanks guys, appreciate all the kind words

here is todays update:
well, painter just called as he knew I was planning on stopping back in today to get pics of the wet sanding and buffing in progess.
He said the paint is still a bit on the soft side to start wet sanding it so the car is back outside "baking" under the sun and wet sanding won't begin until tomorrow rather than today as he planned.
I'm sure the humid weather we have been having is a big factor in the paint taking a bit longer to cure up and harden.

Well, no big deal - an extra day or two really won't make a difference. He knows the "real" deadline is to have the car ready in time for Carlisle so if I get it back the end of this week or the beginning of next week doesn't make a difference. It's more important it's done right.

Update: Thursday 7/27/06

ok, wetsanding was not started today. He's been studying the finish carefully and is not at all happy how it came out. He said right now that 99% chance that tomorrow he is going to sand down the clearcoat and respray it. The little dust nibs and couple small runs in the clearcoat are not problems as they would have wetsanded out but the more he looked at the car in different lighting circumstances he found a couple small fisheyes in the clearcoat and a few pinholes. These won't come out with wetsanding he the best thing to do is sand it back down and redo it.
The time delay is NOT a problem for me. An extra few days, an extra week, even an extra 2 weeks is not problem - as long as it's done for Carlisle I'm happy.
i'm just glad he is a painter that takes pride enough in his work to decide to redo it when he feels it doesn't meet his standard.

I'll post more update photos when there is something new to show you guys.

Very Nice! Pretty soon you'll be driving her and getting stares.:D

GerryLP:cool

zachh said:
Are you still planning to sell 'er?
zachh

yep, unfortunately I have to........
just called a few days ago and reserved my Car Corral spot at Carlisle to sell her there.

Very pretty color barry, not quite as dark as mine mine ,but still nice!!!!good luck seliing her in carlisile!!!!we'll see you there!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom