Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 Power Steering Control Valve play

Corvette
75 Stroker 4spd Frame Off, 05 Cpe 6spd
1978 Automatic

Is the Power Steering Control Valve rod connected to the pitman arm suppose to be that loose when the car is not started.

The car is darting quite a bit (more turning to the left then to the right) and noticed alot of play in that spot when I had it on a lift. That's the only item that is loose. There are no leaks in the system.

I'm checking front wheel bearings and rear control arm play tomorrow night.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Chuck M

1978 Automatic

Is the Power Steering Control Valve rod connected to the pitman arm suppose to be that loose when the car is not started.

You'll see some play in that connection with the engine off; it tightens up when the engine runs and the system has hydraulic pressure in the valve.

:beer

Thanks. Started tinkering with other things last night and before I knew it, nightime was here.

If I can get off work early today, I can have most of the day to get this ironed out.

Gotta get all this done before Thurs, we're heading out to Carlisle 6:AM. :)

Chuck M

Just wanted to let everybody know that I replaced the rear struts with HD adjustable ones and poly bushings. It was like night and day. That did it!!! It's amazing the feeling of play in the front end was coming from those rear struts. And the ease to adjust toe in/toe out is fantastic.

The power steering control valve is leaking and that bugs me. Its the only leak I have under there. I'm going to replace it with a new one (not rebuilt).

Chuck M

The power steering control valve is leaking and that bugs me. Its the only leak I have under there. I'm going to replace it with a new one (not rebuilt).

Chuck M

Make sure you DO NOT grease the zerk fitting on the control valve - it will damage the spool valve seals and void the warranty; most of them these days come with a plug instead of a grease fitting - that's why.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom