Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 78 rear window removal & reinstall

dabonk

Corvette
1978 white L82
I need to replace my rear window thanks to some local kids and a baseball. I have located a replacement at a local salvage yard but I need to remove it. As this will be my first attempt at this type of project. Can someone help me with the procedure or is there a website that describes or has pictures. Thank you:confused

The 1978 Shop Manual will have a detailed step-by-step procedure for removal of the window and preparation/installation of the replacement window. The installation is done with windshield urethane adhesive, NOT butyl tape.

:beer

i did this job on my 81 this summer. it takes 2 people. one in side and one outside. get some mechanics wire or something like piano wire. poke it between the car body and the window. now you and friend can "saw" the wire around the window freeing it from the car. the hot arizona sun should be a big help' this is not a hard job.go slow. have the person inside push up on the window gently as you go. when the window is out, use a good cleaning solvent and a razor blade to get the excess glue off. get it as clean as possible. the local parts store will have a tube of polyurethene glue to reinstall it. this also take 2 people. one on each side of the car. you can carefuly unfasten nd lift the chrome moulding off the car in one piece. clean th moulding clips reall good and all th glue from th car. teat fit the glass a couplke of times before installing with the glue. go slow. this is not a very hard job'. call me if you like 734-476-2558

steve pastorino

What if it was done with butyl tape instead of urethane? What kind of problems can occur?

The window, as glued in originally, becomes a structural member, stiffening the rear of the body. Butyl tape is a short-cut method, and has very little shear strength; it'll hold the window in, but the window will no longer be a structural member.

:beer

I may be way off base here,(but doubt that) But if the rear window is a structural part of the rear of the car, then it would be a issue accident or not. I would say if you take away the strength, you will prob end up with stress cracks in the fiberglass.

If it were me, I would just spend the extra money and do the job the way it was originally designed by GM. I mean why go cheap on your Vette? why take the chance of damage to the body down the road?

Mike.

i would think window butyl is harder to find the urethene. you can get a large tube to do the job at a parts supply house.

steve pastorino

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom