Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Convertible ?????

widewhites

Corvette
Anyone have info or has done this, turned a 79 into a earlier convertible72-76 or so, maybe someone in the WWW that has a website of this sort of build up? My gears are turning and my wife and I have always wanted a convertible.....hhhmmmmmmm....

Cheaper and easier to sell what you have and buy a 72-76 convertible. Only do something like that if it's a labor of love ... cuz it's gonna eat a BIG hole in your wallet!

I would have to agree with page62. One, I think that would be a terribly hard transition, as well as expensive. And two, the value of the Corvette would probably go down because of such of a big modification.

Just a little correction, page62, convertibles last year for the C3s was 1975, not '76. The next appearance of the convertible Corvette was in 1986. Just thought I'd make that correction. :)

I would suggest you email 69MyWay if you decide you're serious about converting your coupe to a convertible. He (Chris) basically re-built a '69 using the rear clip from one car and the rest of the car from another. I would say this is not a job for the 'casually interested' vette owner.... this is a job for the mechanically adroit, and it's gonna cost !!!!!

It can be done, there's currently one guy converting his 81 coupe into vert, I try to see if I can find his contact info.

In the late 80's one of the Saudi Arabian Sheiks bought a mint 79 coupe and had it converted to convertible, I have this story in a old magazine, I need to see if can find it too.

Thanks guys,

page62,
you're right it would be cheaper and less headaches, heartaches and resentments after getting so deep into something I cant' handle. I am a hotrodder at heart and I am feeling the "bug" to tear something up, but wouldn't want to tear a prefectly good car.....

Stallion,
you are right, converts ar up to 75, and yes the value would go down, as it is 79's do not seem to be a big $$ car, though still really good compared to your average 20+ year car

Ala75Vette
I have seen 69myway's webpage, that is alot of work, I will keep him in mind.

groovyjay
I have seen it done, there was a guy on the web that did the conversion, well his wallet did the conversion, which is fine if you have the $bills$, but it cost him more than a prestine earlier vert....

I remember seeing one somewhere on the web. I think it was a '77.

I did see a '75 vert at West Coast Corvette a few months ago that was mostly in boxes. That would sure be a project, or at least a waste of time and money. It didn't have the correct motor though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom