Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Rocker Panels Paint

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
Almost done with detailing my wheels on a 79. Next I want to re-paint my rocker panels and the Rear Window Trim. The original black paint used for the Rocker Panels and Trim appears to be smooth and glossy. Definately was not from a fizz can. Can I get this paint anywhere or am I left with purchasing reproduction Rocker Panels from Ecklers, Corvette Central, etc.? :confused

Let me preference this by saying I don't know if this meets or would withstand an NCRS judging, but it is the best paint in a can I've found ;)

It's PJ1 paint, the black I used on my back window and side panels was PJ1 Satin Black (16-SAT-BLACK-SATIN) it is used a lot for painting Motorcycle engine parts and Frames. If you do a Google for PG1 Paint you'll find all kinds of information on it and different vendors selling it ;)

Bud

:w Jeff,

Yup, that be the paint ;) It may be a bit more expensive than Lowes/HomeDepot/Walmart brand but it is good quality and sprays nice and even ;)

Bud

Question is, "Is the color and or finish any different from Krylon Satin Black?"

Question is, "Is the color and or finish any different from Krylon Satin Black?"
;shrug really don't know, I've never used Krylon Satin Black on my Corvette... I used PJ1 on my rocker panel, back and front window molding, spare tire holder and the exhaust tube from manifold to air cleaner...

I'm sure others have used Krylon... so it must go on easy and last.. and lot's cheaper than PJ1

Bud

...I've never used Krylon Satin Black on my Corvette...

I've used the Krylon semi-flat black for years. It's a near perfect match for the factory black on most things. It's cheap; it's available; and it's good stuff.

:)

I've used the Krylon semi-flat black for years. It's a near perfect match for the factory black on most things. It's cheap; it's available; and it's good stuff.

:)
I have the Krylon Satin Black which I used on my wheels. It looks like the Rocker Panels and Rear Window Trim have a different appearance. A smooth, glossy, wet look finish. The Krylon Satin Black appears to be a duller finish. The PJ1 and Krylon Satin Black have the same finish??? Thanks Guys....

"...Almost done with detailing my wheels on a 79..."

Jeff,

I thought you might like these wheels (Fine79)... http://picasaweb.google.com/1fine69/MarkS79Vette

I remember a recent post that discussed these chromed wheels... I guess some folks don't like them... I think they're nice.

The shop that installed the VB&P Performance Plus system and wheels is near my house - so they dropped it off in front of my place... now how's that for service?

Ralph

Ralph, what a beautiful Vette. I hope mine looks like that some day. The wheels look nice. I prefer the original aluminum wheels for the 79 though. Yea, that's good service. That would definately keep me as a customer...

Ralph, what a beautiful Vette. I hope mine looks like that some day. The wheels look nice. I prefer the original aluminum wheels for the 79 though. Yea, that's good service. That would definately keep me as a customer...

Yeah, I was able to get another friend to sell it to him last winter for $7500!... I've "known" this car for about 10 years, and always liked it --- although it runs like a dog. He's getting a 383 stroker and a Kiesler 5 speed this winter.

The shop is awesome, they've done alot of stuff on my Vette, and they're rebuilding my Camaro's M-21 right now.

Does this shop do interior and body work? This week I finished detailing the wheels and fixed the stock anti-theft alarm but now I have a power steering cylinder leak. Looks like I will have to replace it. Seems like the problems are never ending...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom