Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 upgrade or keep original?

K

kf4915

Not that resale is my main concern, but what will the effect on resale price of my 79 L-82 (60k miles) be if I upgrade the engine to lets say... a 350-400 horse 350 crate. Compared to if I just keep the engine stock and continue to detail and redo the interior etc. How much could the car sell for either way...

If I upgrade the engine I will probably go with a transmission rebuild too. I already plan to put in new carpets, seats and console in.

The fun factor I have already calculated, I am mainly worried about making a regrettable mistake...
TIA

JMHO....
Keep it original, drive and enjoy it 'as is' - something breaks, then fix it.
Otherwise....to save yourself lots of down time, frustration, etc:
1. walk over to the trash can
2. pull out your wallet
3. unload all of your cash into the trash can
4. go drive your Vette 'as is'.

:w :Steer

If you are thinking crate engine, then just put the original block aside. You can always drop it back in at resale time.

New carpets/seats/console will always help resale for this vintage. Save all the old parts.

I'm in the same boat as you (see my sig). But I've chosen the middle path -- upgrade, but save all the original parts.

My main upgrade to date was an overdrive transmission. We do a lot of freeway driving, and the original tranny was driving me crazy!

By the way if you're worried about resale, forget it. These cars should be regarded as a hobby, not an investment! (And if you don't regard 'em that way, watch out -- 'cuz the $$$ are going to get spent on it anyway...)

Do what you want,

it's your vehicle!

I would lean towards putting in a crate engine w/ warranty and keeping the original block stored for a future owner.
Have fun!
Heidi

The 79 Vette I bought has a crate 350 in it. The ownet I bought it off of replaced the origanal cause the previous owner threw a rod through the side. I talked to a local covette dealer, he said that it would take about 1000 bucks from the over all value. I look on the bright side though, this is a 300 HP 350ci motor, not the original 195 HP. Though now I am looking into boosting it to 400HP. But I would hold onto the origanal, put it in a crate for resale later on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom