Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

80-82 marker light question

craig32

Corvette
1981 repainted black coupe
Question for the 80-82 owners - the front side marker lights are yellow and clear, the yellow apparently work with the lights AND the turn signals, what is the clear light at the bottom for? On one side of my car the light is missing, on the other side two wires are cut, so neither one works. It seems as though everything works (and passes inspection), so what is the bottom light for? Or is it like the outside mirrors on these cars - 'just for looks' Thanks for your help.

Craig

The clear lights illuminate when you turn on the turn signals. I believe they are designed for providing light for your turn. Hit the left turn signal, left one turns on, and vice versa.

-Tatortot

yeah what he said....Basicly just side mounted head lights so that you can see where your turning. really popular back in the 80's

Ok, so they don't flash? Apparently it doesn't get an 1157 bulb then? the one side has an 1141 - is that right? Thanks again guys!

Craig

No, they don't flash. They stay on until the turn signal goes off. Sorry, not sure about bulb numbers, they are somewhere on this website.

-Tatortot

The feature is called "cornering lights" and I believe they were introduced on the caddy's back in the 70's. The were designed to illuminate the blind dark corner to the left or right of the main headlight beam when turning. They are activated by the turn signals. I find the driver's side one useful, but can hardly see anything over on the passenger side even lit up. :w

H3 :pat

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread here, but does anyone know where I might find a pair of these front marker lights. Mine are in pretty sorry shape and I don't see any in the usual Corvette vendor catalogs. Have tried a few Corvette wrecking yards but have struck out....

Thanks for any tips,

kdlp

Tritium007 said:
The feature is called "cornering lights" and I believe they were introduced on the caddy's back in the 70's. The were designed to illuminate the blind dark corner to the left or right of the main headlight beam when turning. They are activated by the turn signals. I find the driver's side one useful, but can hardly see anything over on the passenger side even lit up. :w

H3 :pat

I believe it's closer to the 1965 Caddy. I can remember those side lights on the "Land Yachts" that those flashy ladies of Southern California drove in back in my young Marine days while stationed at El Toro.

;)

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6417

kdlp said:
does anyone know where I might find a pair of these front marker lights. Mine are in pretty sorry shape and I don't see any in the usual Corvette vendor catalogs. Have tried a few Corvette wrecking yards but have struck out....kdlp

As usual, try ebay. Find one of the sellers that has a ton of parts and send them a question. Another guy in our club said they were very hard to find, so I assume the vendors don't carry them. Mine aren't the greatest, but they work! Good luck.

Craig

Yes, I do keep an eye on Ebay..... those front marker lights are like '81 nose emblems... hard to find and hard to afford.

Thanks,

kdlp

I have actually just pulled the bulb from mine...yeah it was stock but I find that it really distracts me when someone turns on thier turn signals and there is a white light where you wouldnt expect one to be. So I dont want to distract anyone else. Just me I guess.

craig32 said:
Ok, so they don't flash? Apparently it doesn't get an 1157 bulb then? the one side has an 1141 - is that right? Thanks again guys!

Craig

Try the small 191 bulbs.

........ nut

kdlp said:
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread here, but does anyone know where I might find a pair of these front marker lights. Mine are in pretty sorry shape and I don't see any in the usual Corvette vendor catalogs. Have tried a few Corvette wrecking yards but have struck out....

Thanks for any tips,

kdlp

Hey kdlp

Try link below for repro side marker units

http://www.corvetteparts.com/details/iid/29504301.htm

Not sure if this is a good price, but they are avalible!

:beer

Thanks for the tip!! I haven't seen those available from any other supplier... Once in a while you'll see them on eBay, but they usually have some breakage. Thanks again!!!

kdlp

kdlp said:
Thanks for the tip!! I haven't seen those available from any other supplier... Once in a while you'll see them on eBay, but they usually have some breakage. Thanks again!!!

kdlp

No Worries,

No if someone could just find me a set of those "Cragar" Alumnium louvers, and I can work out how to get them to the other side of the world un-damaged?

:beer

Tritium007 said:
Grant,

Check out this thread on louvers. BTW, saw the photo of your ride on the L81 Registry and she looks great. Black louvers would look downright sinister.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68157

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for that, had seen this thread earlier, but good to know :beer.
Yeah Im pretty happy, she is scrubbing up well at present.
Am looking at changing the wheels for 3 piece, with black centres and chromed rims & spinners, for that black on black look, but we will see, the other half has sort of knee capped my budget at present! ;LOL ;LOL

Kiwi Vette
Grant

Will post some new photos when

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom