Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'80 Horn Cap/Emblem Retainer broke

My pics are up...

http://photos.yahoo.com/thethingsido

Go to the album labeled...tada! STEERING WHEEL

I'm running late right now, so I don't have time to do a full explaination, but I think the pics are relatively slef-explainitory.

All I need to really say is:

1) Do this with the wheel in the unlocked position, and be sure that your outer lock-ring stays to the left. You'll notice it's tabbed position is at about 10:30 in relation to the column and note it's position to the screws and screw-retainer ring.

2) When you are tightening the lock-bolt, you need to hold the outer lock-ring and turn the lock-bolt until the column no longer slides. Once there, turn the lock bolt back to the first hole that it lines up with. That's where you put your screws. Once in place, a quick turn of the outer lock-ring will tell you if you have it adjusted correctly.

The last two pics I have up are of what I am dealing with. How they kept those three pieces intact is unknown to me. Again, it looks like they somehow had glue or like a flange on the end of the aluminum posts coming out the back of the cap. Not sure, but I'm going to epoxy it tonight.

The seats that I was trying to get in??? Don't ask! Not now at least :hb :r

A thanks to all, especially Bobchad and Evolution. I know have a complete steering column. Now if I could just find that electrical gremlin that slowly drains the life from my car. :(

Thanks again all.

Evolution, I'm sorry that I misunderstood the part you were looking for. It looks like epoxy for you. If that doesn't work, docrebuild.com or zip have the horn buttons for ~$42.

Good luck

Russ

Evolution and Bobchad,

This was the spring, retainer, post I was talking about.

Russ,

Bought the piece that you have the picture of on this post, put it in and have horn:_rock. Glad you were interested, forced me to take the time.

I decided to buy the complete $20 piece rather than the $3 plastic rivets since "Bubba" was there before me and I was unsure what he/she did.

Good luck on your sell v. keep decision.

Bob

Went through a car wash today, and when I got in the car, the horn button was on the seat. It is what you are describing. Exactly. Try some epoxy like JBWeld ro PC7. Worked for me for about two years. I am going to try some "Plumbers Goop", which is a very strong silicone type glue./adhesive

Bob & Russ,

I'm not sure which part you need, but here is my $.02

The Upper Horn Contact is held together with the three plastic rivets, and has the spring type clips going around in a circle to hold the Horn Button in place. The reason for the plastic Rivets is to keep the two pieces of metal from making contact until you hit the button and make contact - blows the horn. The Horn Button is the last piece you install, and has the plastic emblem inside. I can't tell how that is held together by looking at it, but I don't think it really matters, because it only contacts the outer ring of the Upper Horn Contact.

I think http://www.riksvet.com had a good picture of the upper and lower contact assembly installations, but believe it or not, I bought my lower contact at the local Chevy dealer, for about $3.00!

Good luck, if I can find the pictures I'll post them.

Steve :w

page62 said:
... the horn contact assembly. It's always falling apart due to the 3 very cheap plastic rivets GM uses in there...

I need to replace those "cheap plastic rivets", but before I just go yanking off the horn button from the steering wheel, and possibly breaking something else, (especially after reading this tread) is there any trick to removing the horn button other than just pulling it off? :crazy

Just pretty much pry it off. That's about it. Unless you try to evenly pop it up by pulling equally around the edges. But for the most part, just pry it off.
Note: unless you want your horn to sound when taking it off :eek, disconnect the battery first.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom