Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 cam change

T

Tomlin

Sorry I missed you all in the chat last night, once again I couldn't get in. I emailed Rob and tonite will send him my computer specs. Hopefully next time. NOW to the topic. Has anyone changed out the cam on an 81? I'm considering a performance cam and am interested in opinions and procedures to install. I've done a change in a old mopar years ago but never a Vette. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

[Edited by Tomlin on 12-03-2000 at 07:37 PM]

Hi, I recently rebuilt the engine in my 81 and the main problem is getting at the cam in the first place. You have to remove the radiator and also the a/c radiator if you have it. This turned out to be more difficult than it first appeared, the cam won`t come out unless you remove them. After you have cleared the way the cam swop is straight forword and can be done with the engine in the car. I ended up removing the a/c altogether and the air pump had already been taken out by the previous owner.

When I put it back together again I refitted the radiator and had most of bits`n`pieces back on the engine but could not get the fan cowling back in place with the rdiator fitted so I had to take the radiator out again and assemble them and put the cowling and radiator back in at the same time.

I hope this is of some help to you

J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom