Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Courtesy Interior Lights

George81

Corvette
2009 Crystal Red Metallic Tint
Just pulled the car out of mothballs for the spring. Charged the battery and installed. Now my interior lights won't shut off! Tested the door switches, ok. The headlight sw is ok. Fuses and wiring all ok. I did replace the radio prior to mothballs but everything worked ok after that. Not impressed with the AutoSound unit! I've removed all the lamps including the rear spare tire lamp but can't find the issue. Thought it may be the courtesy light timer or something in the alarm ckt! Can anyone help?;help

Pull out the glove box. Orange thing probably just hanging there to the right side. Same situation I had with one of mine right after taking it out of storage.

OK so it was suppose to be easy! Contacted the GMParts Direct, ordered new relay. Just received a notice that this item has been discontinued. Any ideas? I've contacted several dealers, Eckler's, etc. No one seems to have this, I know welcome to C3 repairs.

Thanx! Found one at Corvetteman parts, a little more than $25 but it a needed part! Got a reply the item shipped and should have it Monday! Thanx to all!

I could repair the module for a lot cheaper than what you paid for your replacement. I have done a few wiper delay controllers for the 80-82, the parts for them are usually less than $20.00.

:beer
Dale

I could repair the module for a lot cheaper than what you paid for your replacement. I have done a few wiper delay controllers for the 80-82, the parts for them are usually less than $20.00.

Dale

Dale thanx where should I send the defective timer? I'd like a spare!;worship
George

Back in the day when I had my '81, I just followed the Shop Manual wiring diagram and eliminated that little orange timer box troublemaker. Then my lights functioned beautifully and I never had to look over my shoulder to make the lights went off. That timer/relay was/is a troublemaker.:D

courtesy light timer delay

Back in the day when I had my '81, I just followed the Shop Manual wiring diagram and eliminated that little orange timer box troublemaker. Then my lights functioned beautifully and I never had to look over my shoulder to make the lights went off. That timer/relay was/is a troublemaker.:D

So what do I need to do to eliminate the delay switch?

courtesy delay switch

Dale
So are you still fixing the delay switches? What generally needs to be replaced?

Yes, still looking to repair the timer! Bad news, now I have two, the one I replaced last year and the new one, both are bad! It must have something to do with battery charging? Both cases, when the car was put up for the winter everything was fine. When preped for Spring start the battery was a little low. Put it on the charger and blew the timer again! I do have a electronic repair shop where I work and was going to see if they could repair and test prior to sending to you! I'll keep you posted, thanx for the reminder too!!!

Sorry misread your message thought you were Dalewilson99, he the guy that does the repairs! He's in Kamloops, BC Canada.

did you ever find out how to bypass that relay.... funny thing my 82 did the same exact thing this year when i took it out and charged the battery.... with the exception it took me longer to figure out the damn lights were staying on, scratching my head every couple days wondering why the car wont strart.... for now all i did was remove the bulbs which is ok as long as i dont drop anything at night! but i checked allt he wiring, the door switches everything so i assume im havong the same problem..ill try it.. it would be nice to have something go right this week!

Just pulled the car out of mothballs for the spring. Charged the battery and installed. Now my interior lights won't shut off! Tested the door switches, ok. The headlight sw is ok. Fuses and wiring all ok. I did replace the radio prior to mothballs but everything worked ok after that. Not impressed with the AutoSound unit! I've removed all the lamps including the rear spare tire lamp but can't find the issue. Thought it may be the courtesy light timer or something in the alarm ckt! Can anyone help?;help

Not to hijack a thread, but what don't you like about the stereo? I have the USA-6 and it's great! Been in the car for a year and works perfectly.:confusedArt

My 78 did that same thing last week. It had to sit out in the rain for a few hours and when I went to get in it to go home al interior lights were on. However, while driving home lights finally started to flicker and went out, have not had trouble since. May have been moisture. Glad I know about the relay in case it happens again. Thanks. Or I should say WHEN it happens again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom