Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Power steering issue

GT6Steve@aol.com

Corvette
1981 Oyster coupe
Greetings all,
In another step on the road to recovery...This poor abused 81 needs so much...
Can anyone explain what the link is between the steering pitman arm and the power steering control valve? Is this rebuildable or do I need a new control valve. The power steering works fine (too fine) but I've got severe bump steer. Whatever is on top of the valve has a lot of free play.

Start Rant:
I bought another shop manual from one of the biggies last week. It's as worthless as the Haynes manual. 68-82 shop manual and again it's so general it could apply to a Hyundai as well as a Corvette. Sheesh
Rant Off

Thanx, Steve

Steve,

I think most of us have been there, done that ;) Seems like a lot of us have or are putting our L81's back into shape from previous owners :eek

I believe from what you are describing it sounds like the control valve pitman link is shot. You have a few options here, you can buy a kit and rebuild the one you have. I opted for the kit from vettebrakes a few years ago, it came with a rebuilt control valve, new hoses, and slave cylinder.

If you go the rebuild route, be sure to include new hoses, and check out the slave cylinder too ;)

GM made a great shop manual for our 1981. The number for the 1981 GM Corvette Shop Manual is ST-364-81 and Haynes also profited from me when I first bought mine :mad

If you go to the L81VetteRegistry site then to LINKS and at the bottom of the page are 2 links for Ebay and 1981 Corvette items. I see the GM Shop Manual on there quite a bit.. Brace yourself, they go anywhere from $25 ~ $95

Also we have a great article about the power steering system at the Registry in the tech section.

Steering and shop manuals

Thanx immensely 'Yoda'
I realize I'm going to have to shell out $100 to get something useful. I'm just annoyed at how useless and generic these $30 manuals are.
I've been rebuilding Jags for thirty years and within minutes I can get the answers to the most trivial of questions. The Corvette, by contrast, seems to be buried in the obvious while details are elusive. Heck, maybe after thirty years of Corvettes the answers will be equally available.
I found a steering ball joint rebuild kit in one of the biggies catalogs that may be what I need. $45 for the kit is not to big a risk to see if I'm right.
I think we're right at the point with the 80's cars where they're getting past daily driver common crap and starting to appeal to enthusiasts again. I lived it with the Jags and see the same thing with our C3's. Hallelujah, they're worthy saving...Steve

Bump Steer

What exactly is this? I experience very poor control when on roads with ditches (indentations from trucks and such) etc. I;ve read before it could be from large tires...mine are 245 in front and 275 in rear.

Thanks!

- Jeremy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom