Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Seats locking up

rallemandi

Corvette
1981 Coupe
Has anyone else had problems with the seats locking and not allowing them to be folded forward? It is frustrating. :rotfl Thanks.

If I remember correctly you can remove the hinge covers. Behind them there is a weight like a hanging hammer. It will move when driving locking the seats but standing still they will be in a neutral position unlocking the seats. Try putting some wd40 in there, maybe they're just stuck.

Greetings Peter

There is another thread from last week or two weeks ago about this, do a search and you should find it

My 81 had the same problem with the right side seat intermittently would lock and no matter what it would not release, so I removed the seat, put it on a bench, took the trim covers off, I found that the white or off white plastic piece was broken and would slip back and forth, that would be the intermittent locking problem.....I replaced that piece and have not had the problem since....maybe your problem also.

Good Luck :beer

Dave

These pictures below may help, on my seats the plastic on the side of the weights had peeled off somewhat, so the weights wold not swing freely; you can remove that piece of plastic, or glue it back in position.
The attached pictures might help to visualise this; the weight is fitted in between the two hinge plates, and they can be removed by carefully forcing them apart, till the weight drops out.

Cor
IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom