Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 81 won't start

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
I tried to start up my 81 after it had been sitting for a while (about 6-7 months i think it was) it started up but died within about 1 min and i haven't been able to get it to start since.
At first i thought it was probably just bad fuel so i drained the tank and cleared the lines. also fitted a new fuel filter while i was at it.
I put some 98RON in the tank (i know it would only need 91 but just want to be sure). cranked it over until the carb had fuel again but still no signs of life.
I've fitted a new rotor, dist cap and coil also (i had these all ready to go before the problem started)
I pulled the #1 spark plug to confirm timing was roughly right (not 180* out) and noticed it was black also checked the type NGK BP5FS. a quick look showed that this is not the NGK equivalent for the correct plug (R45TS)
Is this likely to be my only problem? or will i need to look further into this???

OK. Fitted new plugs today (NGK BPR4FS, equivalent to R45TS) And it started up first time.:D
I am a bit unsure if the old plugs were the only problem though. I had been starting it up occasionally while it was sitting but it would never have warmed up fully like it would while driving. It was getting harder and harder to start. (I thought this was just the fuel getting old) Could that have caused the old plugs to fail? They were a colder plug. and had only been in for about 1.5 years and had probably only done around 2000mi

It was probably a combination of things. Old fuel, carb getting gunked up from fuel evaporating, wrong plugs accumulating carbon from starting and idling without any road time to clean them off, ect. It can actually be harder on the car to start it occasionally than to just leave it sit until you are ready for a drive again. Every time you start the car the carb fills with fuel. Then when it sits for a period of time afterward the fuel evaporates leaving behind a layer of varnish. The more times you do this the more crud collects in the carb. Using a fuel stabilizer product like Stabil is absolutely necessary to prevent this from happening and to also keep the fuel from going bad. Also starting it like that doesn't give the exhaust system a chance to completely dry out thus shortening the life of the mufflers and pipes. Also the oil needs to get up to temperature to dry out condensation inside of the engine and evaporate any moisture out of the oil.

We have had my wifes '81 since new. It still has the original exhaust system. It also sits for months between usage. We keep a battery tender on the battery and Stabil in the fuel tank. When it's time to go someplace it lights off as soon as fuel reaches the carb. I never start it unless I'm taking it out so it will sit all winter without being started. Even if we are not going anywhere in particular I have a 10 mile loop that I run just to get everything up to temperature.

Now that you have all the fresh tune up parts, if you take care of the fuel and the battery it should reward you with a quick start-up and smooth running the next time you want to go for a drive. Just avoid the urge to start it if you can't take it out and thoroughly warm it up.

Tom

It was probably a combination of things. Old fuel, carb getting gunked up from fuel evaporating, wrong plugs accumulating carbon from starting and idling without any road time to clean them off, ect. It can actually be harder on the car to start it occasionally than to just leave it sit until you are ready for a drive again. Every time you start the car the carb fills with fuel. Then when it sits for a period of time afterward the fuel evaporates leaving behind a layer of varnish. The more times you do this the more crud collects in the carb. Using a fuel stabilizer product like Stabil is absolutely necessary to prevent this from happening and to also keep the fuel from going bad. Also starting it like that doesn't give the exhaust system a chance to completely dry out thus shortening the life of the mufflers and pipes. Also the oil needs to get up to temperature to dry out condensation inside of the engine and evaporate any moisture out of the oil.

We have had my wifes '81 since new. It still has the original exhaust system. It also sits for months between usage. We keep a battery tender on the battery and Stabil in the fuel tank. When it's time to go someplace it lights off as soon as fuel reaches the carb. I never start it unless I'm taking it out so it will sit all winter without being started. Even if we are not going anywhere in particular I have a 10 mile loop that I run just to get everything up to temperature.

Now that you have all the fresh tune up parts, if you take care of the fuel and the battery it should reward you with a quick start-up and smooth running the next time you want to go for a drive. Just avoid the urge to start it if you can't take it out and thoroughly warm it up.

Tom

Thanks. That's good to know I don't need to go looking for some other problem:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom