Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 82 - AC/Heater control trouble shooting

73-81 BST

FINAL winter project before SMOKE hits the road again.

My AC/heater control will not switch out of defrost mode.....blower switch works so does the temp. Is this a AC/heater control issue or a relay?

It sounds like you have a vacuum problem...
check in behind the glove box to see if some of mickey's relatives decided to chew thru your vacuum lines,and didn't make any nests back there.
Good Luck!!!!!

:w

Is the problem with the lever switch not moving over to the air-conditioning and seems hungup about in the middle of the arc??

I had issue's with mine getting hung up, then I forced it trying to get it to work and then it felt like nothing was attached to it.. I ended up taking it out of the console. We were leaving the next day for an event, so I got out the GM Shop manual and made a "Bubba Fix" that has lasted more than 10 years ;)

As I recall I made a small plastic (Teflon) washer to hold the cam in place when the lever moved from one side of the switch to the other to turn on the air-conditioning:
attachment.php

It was a pita to get to and get out. I removed both side panels on the console, and skinned my hands up real good too :bash

If the switch seems to be working and just not turning on the air, you may still need to check the diaphram and vacuum lines, as Bill points out ;)

Good Luck, air in our old C3's isn't the best to begin with, BUT NO Air-Conditioning is :nono because it's better than none :dance

Bud

Thanks...all the switches move....the unit has a nice hissing noise...Looks like Ac this year will be 4 x 70....tops off / windows down 70mph cruise...

I have added this repair to my 2010 Winter project list

i had a similar problem on my 79. it turned out to be a loose vacuum line going to the back of the switch.

Thanks...all the switches move....the unit has a nice hissing noise...Looks like Ac this year will be 4 x 70....tops off / windows down 70mph cruise...

I have added this repair to my 2010 Winter project list

It shouldn't have a nice hiss. Remove the passengerside side panel and see if the vaccum line slipped off. Could be a real simple fix.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom