Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 82 Vette -- Oil Leak from under Right Dash

Had a simular problem on my 77 before I did the engine swap.... It was coming through the vacum lines to the heatrer controls... Excess engine back presure....check you PCV

Not sure how it would leak oil, but nothing else makes sense so you might want to pull off the kick pannel on that side and see if it is leaking through the windshield wiper valley drains on each side. Before I unclogged and resealed mine I had water leaking into the cockpit. Couldnt figure out how the water was getting in till I pulled of the pannel. Still not sure how oil would get in there but at least you can eliminate that area. Good luck on a tough problem.

I have a 75 and I noticed the same leak in my car, but it was antifreeze i myself am not sure how or why its leaked.

Hotshotny,

I can tell you are the comedian of the group. LOL!!! I just dump the oil in the kitchen sink. I figure no one will mind my washing the veggies in the same sink.....ROFL! :beer

Based upon the info provided, I will do two things: 1) Conduct a thorough inspection when I change the oil next by placing paper down and determining where the oil is coming from (if able); 2) Check the heater core and see if maybe, just maybe it is defective and leaking. I realize that the heater core doesn't have any oil in it, but it is worth checking. I can't think of anything else it could be.

I appreciate all the inputs provided. After I fix this, I am planning on beginning a upgrade of the motor/increasing horsepower. Will be looking through the threads for options.

Thanks.

Had a simular problem on my 77 before I did the engine swap.... It was coming through the vacum lines to the heatrer controls... Excess engine back presure....check you PCV

I'll jump in here for a moment, everyone has said everything, But IF your getting this oil leak ONLY when you change the engine oil, And I assume you refill into the right or passengers side valve cover, then there is defiantly a cause and effect with that operation. Look to see if there are any vacume lines that are at or below the edges of the valve cover and if there's a bad valve cover gasket, cause if so it might be leaking from the rear of the valve cover, and either running along or being sucked by a leak in a vacume line, but this is really a WILD guess. I can't imagine oil running horizontally or that you could get as much a cupful (That's a lot of oil) from a vacume leak. As suggested, put paper down and see if you can find the leak. Also on this theme, I'd slide a large piece of cardboard down between the rear of the engine and the firewall and change the oil, See if the cardboard is blocking or showing where the oil is coming from. that's the best i can offer.

dont forget to post if you find out what is happening. im sure a few of us are curious to see what is causing this.
I know I'm curious. Where in DC are you? Maybe we could meet?

What about the refrigerant oil in the A/C evaporator?

What about the refrigerant oil in the A/C evaporator?
No way!! There isn't that much oil in the AC system,and even if there was it would leak out the Wizz Hole in the evaporator case!! I'm with JohnZ,the aliens done it!!:D:D:D

I'm voting vacuum lines if indeed it's oil, why it occurs after an oil change is a mystery as it should happen all the time or not at all.

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom