Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84' Power Steering Fluid

E

Edge950

My power fluid steering is real dirty. Does anyone know how I can change this myself and save some money?

Edge,

Check out the Portal here (click on it at the very top of the screen) and go shopping for a 1984 G.M. service manual. This is the bible of the car and will answer any and all questions you could ever possibly have. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.

I started to answer your question and realized there might me a more specific or better procedure outlined in the actual service manual than what I was going to suggest.

It is a great idea to get fresh fluit in there.

Tell us more about your ride, how you got it, how you plan to use it, and what kind of condition etc. it is in.

Thanks,

Chris

I didn't think GM made a convertible in'84
Is this a custom one and do you have any pics?

Power Steering Fluid

Edge,
I agree that a GM shop manual is a great thing to have but sometimes there are things in there that they just don't cover. As far as your PS fluid change? All I do is every six months if not sooner I suck all of the fluid out of the reservor and replace it with fresh. There is still old fluid in the piston and hoses but it all gets cycled like I say every six months. No mess no fuss no broken lines. Have you had morning sickness yet with your 84? (bad rack and pinion).
I do the same thing with my master brake reservor fluid too.
My 84 was my daily driver for about 7 years and ran great all the time, lots of tender loving care. March this year I started a body restoration and it is almost finished. She is in the paint shop as we speak.

Happy Vettein,
See Ya on the road
Bob w/jet4rs

Power Steering Fluid

Edge,
I agree that a GM shop manual is a great thing to have but sometimes there are things in there that they just don't cover. As far as your PS fluid change? All I do is every six months if not sooner I suck all of the fluid out of the reservor and replace it with fresh. There is still old fluid in the piston and hoses but it all gets cycled like I say every six months. No mess no fuss no broken lines. Have you had morning sickness yet with your 84? (bad rack and pinion).
I do the same thing with my master brake reservor fluid too.
My 84 was my daily driver for about 7 years and ran great all the time, lots of tender loving care. March this year I started a body restoration and it is almost finished. She is in the paint shop as we speak.

Happy Vettein,
See Ya on the road
Bob w/jet4rs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom