Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 84 pricing question

ButchN

Corvette
2013 Black Coupe
Hi all.

Not new to the forum, been here since I owned an ‘00 WS6 & wanted some LS1 info here.

Anyway, hi!

I’m Butch Nordstrom from Dracut MA.

I’m looking at an 84 Vette, M4 (I saw 4+3 on the forums, don’t know what that means) with appears to be 51K original miles & is allegedly a one owner vehicle.

There are slight horizontal cracks on the hood on the left & right side just behind the headlights, hardly noticeable being the paint “hides it” as it appears to be repainted.

Platinum Metallic is what they are calling the color.

Blue is the interior color.

Original radio is gone for something newer, can’t remember what it was right now.

The other paint blemishes are just behind the driver door where it bubbled & scratches on the lower part of the rear fascia.

The rest of the car appeared to be in really good shape.

The interior shows the “normal” if not less than normal signs of wear for a 24 yr old car.

All 4 tires are near new.

The asking price is $8995 & I’m seriously considering it, even though I’d really like an LT1 C4 or C5.

So, that long intro & info aside, is $9K for this car OK?
KBB doesn’t go back that far so I have nothing to gauge it on.

Thanks!

No!!!!!!!!!

An 84 with issues is less than desirable. Paint and body issues are expensive. The 4+3 transmission is a manual with overdrive, very expensive when they fail. Maintenence of those is very important, or they will fail.
You can get an LT1 car with near those miles, maybe a little more for the same money. Be patient and search. If I had $9k to spend, I'd search autotrader for 92 and newer.
84 - 205hp
92-96 LT1 - 300hp

I'd expect to be able to find a 92, or 93 in the 70k-80k mile range for that money. That would be a car with no issues. That's bottom line, I have heard of better deals, just depends on how patient, and lucky you are.

I don't want to tick off anyone with a 4+3. Some people really like them, but I would run from a car with a 4+3. And all manual Corvettes from 84-88 have the 4+3.
It will cost you significant money to get 300hp from an early C4. Why not just start with a 92 or newer that already has 300hp? There are two reasons to buy an early C4, either a financial constraint, or you just like early C4s. Some people just like the body style and the digi dash.
If you're spending $9k, you aren't limited by cash. Expand your radius, be patient. Find the car you want.
Heck, for $9k I'd seriously consider selling my 87 and it's twice the car you're looking at in that 84.

I've said it a few times... PATIENCE. Be patient, and you'll find the right vette. Then you'll be hooked. :)

You should be able to find an LT1 car for that kind of money. (As much as I hate to say that, as it de-values all C4's, mine included) It truly is a buyers market out there.

Patience is going to be on your side here. I wouldn't be too concerned with higher mileage, if you have the records to back up the maintenance. I bought mine with 94K, but I had all maintenance records, and it looked and performed better than cars with half as many miles. The only issue with mine when I bought it was the CD player didn't work (very common issue with these cars , but easily fixed, not cheaply, but easily).

I have done a few maintenance items since buying, but I don't hesitate to jump in the car and drive across the country. We are planning on driving to Cleveland in June for CruiseFest (1400 miles one way).

Good luck with your search, and keep us abreast to what you find.

Good luck with your search, and keep us abreast to what you find.
Thanks guys for your input.

I was going to buy a Vette when I got divorced, but bought the WS6 as I also love Trans Ams.

But I figure now that the WS6 is gone (I totalled it) I am going to try & stick to my guns & buy a Vette this go-round.

When I get one I will definitely report back.

Until then, I will do as I've been doing, lurking & reading.

Oh, I wonder if I set a record, 1 month shy of 4 years here before making my 1st post!

Looked :confuseds though he just drove right into it!

That is one nice Vette! The fact it is an '84 with such low miles lends a lot of value.

Send a note to geekinavette. He has one and would not live without it!

The color is Gray Metallic.

Transmission was only an issue if one did not change the filter and oil. Even though a manual, there is a filter!

Some came with 15" wheels. I believe the ad says it has the larger wheels which would be 16".

I would find someone in the area who knows that year Vette and have them check it out with you.

While you investigate, post your questions in the C4 forum.

SAVE THE :w

Hey thanks for the "plug" there Greg! :L

Hmmm, well as far as 84s go it looks pretty nice...I personally wouldn't pay that much for an '84...but I'm not the one looking at it!

The paint "issues" might be more than you realize to correct. Behind the doors is a common problem area on the 84 (maybe later C4s as well, don't know)...these cars are just too weak to be driving them hard without the top in place (which is what causes bubbling and cracking behind the doors).

I would not TOUCH any C4 that had a 4+3 in it (well not for 9 grand anyway)...again that's just me.

As Greg said I love my 84, I'll never get rid of it...but I'm a "tinkerer". If you decide to pursue this purchase, make sure the dealer's price is in line with blue book values, and consider what it is going to take to repair those paint issues...you might be looking at replacing body panels, and that ain't cheap (especially that hood)! Also make SURE you have a trusted mechanic that KNOWS the crossfire system (or plan to learn it inside and out yourself and do your own upkeep). This system was only used on two year models (82/84), and it is not exactly popular! Just like any other system when properly maintained and tuned it is extremely reliable...it's not a L98 or LS1 and won't perform like one, but it IS reliable (and makes very good low end torque).

You'll know if this is the one for you (the right one will "talk" to you!)...if there is ANY doubt at all, I would keep looking.

Good luck man...

Bill

OK guys, here’s the scoop on my WS6.

It was totally a freak accident & it happened the Friday of Memorial day weekend 2 yrs ago.

I had gotten the car back about a month before with the LS6 heads, cam, UDP, tune & suspension mods which the engine mods netted me 402 to the wheel!

Then while going to work, I managed to plant my foot to the floor & couldn't lift! I saw the wall coming at me quickly still couldn’t lift or turn. I was like a deer caught in the headlights. Next thing I knew I heard a soft boom, & my car was wrecked.

And Bill, I'll snap some pics of the car today & post them tonight.

Also, as I wrote in my 1st post, I don't know what blue book is as KBB doesn't go back to 84!

Wow, you froze? That sucks, I've created similar bad luck for myself in my younger days. Fortunately for you and me, no one was seriously hurt, and you can use it as a learning experience.

It's hard to say what the 84 you're looking at is worth. My best guess, $6k. I have a co-worker who bought a white/red a4 1984 with 60k miles last year for $5k. He got a great deal.

Honestly, if you like to tinker, or mod, a TPI is much better than an L83.

Honestly, if you like to tinker, or mod, a TPI is much better than an L83.

Ehhh depends on one's perspective...for some yes, for others maybe not.

I personally like to develop modifications vs. buying them off the shelf (in some cases). I'm a "root for the underdog" kinda guy I reckon. :L

Bill

Ehhh depends on one's perspective...for some yes, for others maybe not.

I personally like to develop modifications vs. buying them off the shelf (in some cases). I'm a "root for the underdog" kinda guy I reckon. :L

Bill

Not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying most, I know me for sure, like things to be as easy as possible. The L98 has a lot more torque, and more off the shelf stuff. The LT1 is even better in terms of starting point.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 84s, and a nice example of an 84 is always good to see. Just depends on your goals, and temperment. It's not for me as an owner.

Absolutely!

I think the important piece of information for the original poster to take from this is that 84's are not exactly "aftermarket friendly", nor are most repair shops terribly familiar with them even in stock form (many Corvette shops included!)...where as that's not so much the case with '85 and up.

Did you notice the interior is NOT leather, but a blue patterned cloth!

Good trivia question for C4 owners: What years did Corvette offer a choice of interiors?

L83 was also found in Camaros and Firebirds for the years 82-84. I believe this is so. Correct me I am wrong.

Bill, don't the 84s with the 4+3 get tremendous fuel mileage? I remember someone telling me many years ago, he got mid 30s on the highway! Not too bad for a sports car!

To give you an idea of C4 values. I bought my 90 conv. 6 sp. with 69k on it 3 yrs ago for $10,000. It is not pristine but a nice car and minimal repairs.
I looked at a number of C4s with the 4+3 and after the fact I am really happy that I got the 6 speed. Appears to me like there is a lot less potential of problems with the 6 sp.

If you were to give me $9.000 you would be going home with it and I would be searching for a newer C4 with the LT in it.

Glenn
:w

Greg...indeed the crossfire system was an option on 82-84 F-bodies, but not as a 5.7L L83...it was a 5.0L (LU5 or something like that).

The 4+3 highway mileage is not going to be noticeably different with 0.67:1 overdrive ratio vs. 0.7:1 OD ratio with the 700R4 automatic. In stock form they get mid-20s on the highway...most certainly not mid-30s!

To give you an idea of C4 values. I bought my 90 conv. 6 sp. with 69k on it 3 yrs ago for $10,000. If you were to give me $9.000 you would be going home with it and I would be searching for a newer C4 with the LT in it.

Glenn
:w

Glenn, that is a great way to look at the values! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom