Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 Vette A/C Compressor

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Hi everyone! When I turn on the A/C I can feel it considerably pull on the motor and it increases the temperature so fast that I cannot keep it running. We have a dually and an IROC and you can always slightly feel the A/C pull but not to the extent as we feel it on the vette.

So, does this mean possibly the clutch is old or the compressor should be replaced? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

84 vette A/C Compressor

On my '85 I cannot tell when the compressor comes on. The '86 has a noisy compressor and I can usually tell when it is on. Especially if the hood is open. Sitting in the driveway with the hood open you can tell when either of them goes on with a bit of a tug on the engine. Driving down the highway I cannot tell when either of them come on.

Regards...............

I find on the 82 with cross-fire the A/C really pulls down the engine as you noted. I do not have an overheating problem. I did replace water pump,radiator and stat. My guess would be the aux fan would kick in while A/C is on but to tell you the truth I never really checked. I also dislike the noise and movement of the belt. I live with it and the A/C works great but I rarely use it even in FL. I perfer tops down.:cool

The 85 with TPI is a whole different animal. No noise, and much less negative effect on engine. The two cars are night and day from the ground up. But I just love my shark;)

Carlo

This sounds just like what my '89 does; you feel the "pull" so much in the Corvette because your normal road-load horsepower requirement is so much less in the Corvette. The 10 HP (or more) the A/C draws is a considerable fraction of what it takes to pull that car down the road.
Your dually now... its' fuel pump probably draws more HP than it takes to drive your 'Vette at 55! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom