Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'84 Vette Harmonic Dampener

jacob9582

Corvette
1984 Brilliant White Coupe, Targa Top
How hard is it to replace the Harmonic Dampner. Mine broke as I was driving down my street...coasted into the garage....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance! :bash

It's not too hard but you'll need a couple of special(really just one) tools. A steering wheel/dampner puller, the dampner has a 3 bolt pattern, make sure you use the tip on the puller bolt so you damage the crank threads. On my 84 all I had to do a remove the line on the rack to get the puller lined up straight. You might want to get some longer 3/8fine bolts to use w/ the puller. To install the new one your gonna need a dampner installer, the threads in the crank arent big enough to pull it on. The installer will have a thrust bearing to easy the friction, I like to put moly assem. lube on the snout to help it out. Check the tool rental places for an installer, the threads in the crank are 7/16 fine. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the response. I will attempt to find the tools you mentioned and start this job tonight. I will let you know how it progresses.

Thanks Again!

It's not too hard but you'll need a couple of special(really just one) tools. A steering wheel/dampner puller, the dampner has a 3 bolt pattern, make sure you use the tip on the puller bolt so you damage the crank threads. On my 84 all I had to do a remove the line on the rack to get the puller lined up straight. You might want to get some longer 3/8fine bolts to use w/ the puller. To install the new one your gonna need a dampner installer, the threads in the crank arent big enough to pull it on. The installer will have a thrust bearing to easy the friction, I like to put moly assem. lube on the snout to help it out. Check the tool rental places for an installer, the threads in the crank are 7/16 fine. Good luck.

Do you recall what size mounting bolt and thread is that I would need to install the dampner?

OK there's 4 bolts that hold the pulley on the dampner, the 3 outside are 9/16 wrench size(3/8 fine thread), the center bolt has a 5/8 head(7/16 fine thread).

Thanks a lot, got the job done last night. Everything went very very smoothly. Thanks Again! :w

OK there's 4 bolts that hold the pulley on the dampner, the 3 outside are 9/16 wrench size(3/8 fine thread), the center bolt has a 5/8 head(7/16 fine thread).

Passenger dash pad removal

Alright, just about the time you think you know everything about your car something arises and you need assistance. I need to change out the turn signal flasher on my 84. I have the shop manual, the Chiltons, the part catalog and I'll be darn if I can figure out how to get behind the passenger dash pad and carpeted sound trim pad without taking off THE DASH. I dread having to do that for fear that it may crack or get damaged. Right now it is perfect.
If anyone has any recomendations. I have gotten the T/S flasher out but had to stand on my head and pull out one of the EMC connectors. Again concerned with possibly doing damage to wires I was cringing the whole time. I did not put the flasher back up where it belongs I currently have it strapped up to the wire harnesses. It bothers me that its not back up where it belongs. ANY ASSISTANCE? :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom