Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 85, dash marker and tailights quit working

Furrball

Corvette
1985 Black Knight
:eek:hnoesI'll be thorough,...
Turn the key the digital dash lights up as it should,.... then goes out.
Pull the light switch and the headlights roll open and work just fine, BUT... I have no front running lights, fog lights, or tail lights. Blinkers work, brake lights work. ALL FUSES ARE GOOD!

Is this a switch problem?

Anyone else had this problem?;shrug

Check for grounds??? I would check for power in the light sockets by going to a good ground source and looking for 12volts dc. If you have 12 volts, then it is a grounding problem, no 12 volts, then a breaker or fuse or light switch(which I think might be the problem).

still no luck

Any clue where the main ground for this particular system might be located? It's a huge coincidence that the dash lights went out at exactly the same time the tail lights and park lights failed,... Since I hate Coincidence's, me thinks it must all be related somehow. Not a fuse! You mentioned breaker,... where might that be? (Don't have manual). Thanks for your help!

The 85 should be the same as 84. I think you're spot on concerning the ground...headlights and dash use the same ground. http://misterbill.homeip.net/vette/wiring/headlamps.jpg

on the 84 the ground terminus is located under the passenger breadbox on the end near the fuse box...no doubt 85 is same...a real PIA to access!

However, odds are the ground problem is at the dash cluster wire connector where both grounds meet. I'd seriously consider just running a dedicated new ground for the headlight switch AND one for the cluster. Many of us have run additional grounds from that location and have solved the grounding issue.
If you remove the dash pad there are many spots to easily run the new ground wires where the bracing connects to the frame. I've found removing the dash pad gives you more room to work than actually removing the plastic dash bezels.
To see how its attached...http://corvette1984.freewebtools.com/DIRECTORIES/REPAIRS/DashPadRemovalTips/dash.html
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom