Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 Engine project: The break-in phase

TPIS coated headers came today...SWEEEEET.....Very nice quality and the Y-pipe is cool too :D.........Still no hat and T- shirt though:(

Ken, I think your right. I bought all the TPIS parts from a previous owner. I guess i wont get a hat . I'm done , except for the Accell injectors from Summit.
I did get some good news. The guy I bought the heads from called and said that since he had to buy new rockers for is new heads , I can have the the ones that came with my heads. Comp Rollers.They are practicly new except for a dyno run. Was going to buy them anyway. :upthumbs. ....Oh yea the rods came and then got sent back by mistake and now they are trying to find them....lol.....Waiting on them to check for clearance and then balancing....:eyerole.....Oh well such is life :s and noooo damn hat either:L :L

Don't fret, you don't need no stinking hat! :L

As a point of interest to you maybe, I bought the Accel injectors too because I've never heard anything bad about them. I know people say to buy the Ford Motorsports injectors to save money, but I bought the Accel's anyway.

Well, you oughta know me well enough by now to know that Mr. Murphy is a close friend of mine. He made his appearance one more time over the weekend; the injector for #6 cylinder is just pouring fuel through. It's stuck wide open! (It is interesting to see the spray pattern with the fuel injector out of its hole; Richie showed me what it was doing. :L)

It figures that although thousands of people have gone before me and experienced no problems with Accel injectors, leave it to me to find the one bad one! :eyerole

Good luck on your ongoing project. It sounds like it's moving along now. :upthumbs

_ken :w

You dont need no stinkin hat
:L

Ken, I'd say its about time for Mr. Murphy to move on.:(. But I dont want him here!!!

I did read your engine post about your injector situation. I think your past all your setbacks and you are ready to cruise full speed ahead. I'm sure I have a few more to experience before its all said and done. I'm starting to get to the impatient stage.

I have read about the Ford injectors, and that they are supposed to be good . But I too decided on the Accells to save some money. We'll see how it goes. Besides the weather hasnt been worth a s**t here, we had some snow flurries today . NOT Corvette weather. :mad

Finaly, the engine is home. I was at the engine shop with the builder last night helping put it together.Fun time, great guy. We assembled the short block .I plan on doing the rest.
Tonight I was looking over the parts and noticed the heads (AFR)have no holes for what I believe to be coolant sensors. I was wondering if I'm going to have to drill and tap for these sensers or if there is another way or if they are even necessary to have . I guess I'll call this problem #1.

EEK! That scares me about drilling the heads..

Is it possible to mount the C.Temp sensors elsewhere? Like on the Thermo Housing or somewhere else close to the block/heads? if it was mounted in a place like that would'nt you get a very similar result in Temp response?

Just and Idea (How ever uneducated it may be):eyerole

Hehe, I know what you mean:eek......there is a machined area where the senser would go. I think the computer needs those reads off each head. There are 3 that come off the manifold already.:)...I'm going to contact TPIS about it.

Wellll, all's well that ends well. Got to looking at TPIS catalog and checked out there pics of the heads . They have the holes for the sensors. I now have them too!!! :D Piece a cake. Drilled, tapped and ready to rock.:_rock

Sorry 'bout that Dave, I saw this yesterday but forgot about it until I saw the new posts for today. :eek:

Glad to hear it worked out ok for ya. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Not a problem Ken. You will have plenty opportunities in the near future I'm sure. This project is far from over.:)......I did get the heads bolted on and the pushrod guide plates on. going to measure for pushrod length next. I did bolt a header and set the new tpi on for grins, AWESOME!!!:D Also checked the oil pan for fit and set the pickup clearence. going to have the pickup brazed on the pump. The TPIS pan is pretty nice unit. :cool

I have the 7qt street pan. But I it has the right hand dip stick which they dont show in their book and it came with the trap doors AND the screen and scraper. Doesnt say anything about the doors in their add with the street pan. It is a nice pan.

Well the engine is 90% assembled and about ready to stuff it betwicks them thar fenders......Got to measure for the pushrods
and get those coming. Need to get injectors yet. Kinda dragging my feet on those . Not sure if I'm getting the Accells or what. Going to do alittle more research and talk to TPIS again. My new vavle covers came , got the GM polished alum with the Bowtie and Chevrolet script machined in them . They are the tall ones . Very nice quality.Might have to modify the drivers side to clear the wiper motor ,not sure yet and bore the hole for the pushin oil cap. Its coming along ,slowly but surely.:)

LOL get a camera man! Or are you taking pictures with film then scanning? I want to see this thing! Im trying to learn/study over here Hehe

Hey Big Red, Ya gotta believe me man !! I realy am building a motor!!!...LMAO :L I would like to buy the digital , but the funds arent available . CAR parts. Priorities ya know? :) Ive tried posting some pics from my regular camara but, its not working out . I promise to get some pics . The engine is going in tonight!!:D

maxrevs85 said:
Hey Big Red, Ya gotta believe me man !! I realy am building a motor!!!...LMAO :L I would like to buy the digital , but the funds arent available . CAR parts. Priorities ya know? :) Ive tried posting some pics from my regular camara but, its not working out . I promise to get some pics . The engine is going in tonight!!:D

How are you gonna do it? I had to take my trans out of the 90, drop the motor in with the bellhousing on and clutch assembled. That left plenty of room for the motor mounts, etc.

Then, underneath I had to wrestle the trans into the clutch/flywheel area, secure the bolts, then the torque arm, drive shaft, etc.

Then, back up top to finish hooking up the engine stuff.

I took the motor out with the trans in the car, no problem. I tried to put it back in with the trans in place, and could not even get close.

Good luck, stay safe.

Yea Chris ,thats most likely the approach I'll take. I've been going over it in my head . I like to attach as much as possible to the engine as I can. I had the trans off when it came out and seeing that I left the hood on ,it came out with ease. I did loosen the hood support and push the hood a little farther forward for alittle more clearance . It worked out good. The biggest chore is remembering where the hell everthing bolts to, LOL. At least everthing is alot cleaner going together then apart. Oh yea, I am a little concerned with the oil pan and not having as much room with the bigger pan going in.
I've also got a friend coming over to help. He said I'm not allowed to do it with out him. :L . He worked on my race team with me . (KEN, I have one freind:)). Thanks for the help ( could use a beagle though , the Rottie is too damn big :L:L )

maxrevs85 said:
( could use a beagle though , the Rottie is too damn big :L:L )

:L All a beagle is good for in the garage, is walking up and licking you in the ear, or in the eyesockets when you are laying on your back struggling to put something up on the car, ............ or ..... the boy dog (Levi) likes to hump your leg when you get under the car and leave them out defensless. :nono

Oh, and if you leave ANYTHING on the floor that is important and made of anything other than metal, they will pick it up, chew it up, and POOP it out in the back yard.

You should see what it is like when the sun rises on diaper hill in the back yard, there are millions of shinny--somethings that have been recycled through there little trash compactors for stomachs.

Naw, stick with the Rottie.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom