Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 Engine project: The break-in phase

I take it you don't have a digital camera eh Dave, and you finally got the film developed. :L

_ken :w

Your right , no dig cam .....But I have had the pics for awhile ....just figured out how to post then and the scanner is fixed too.....:)

Nice picture. Have you had any problems getting those tall valve covers to fit under the wiper motor?

I had to dimple mine in on my 85 stroker with a towel and rubber hammer.

Thanks Chris and Ken yes they were a slight problem .Wasnt able to dimple them since they are cast. Had to grind down a tad which helped , but they sit tight anyway. Didnt help using the double gasket withthe steel core . But i wont use anything else . Can take them off and on and no leaks.
Did you check out all the Pics?

Put the intake back together today with the stock injectors. Sure doesnt run as strong. Still think it would whip a Rustang though.:)
It was a cold, clear,dry day. Had to take it for a spin. It helped out the winter blues. But tomorrow we are to get about 6" of snow.:puke
The vette's back in storage for the rest of the season.( in my garage of course)
A new project is about to begin though . We are back into racing again. My son got a ride with a new owner and we will be building a car. The chassis and body will be here this week . I will post a new thread to follow. In the mean time check this out.
www.usproracing.com

cool car and great story....seems like alot of people on this forum have modified 1985 Corvettes.

FWIW, I dealt with the '85 ECM for about 1 month until my maf went bad (happened while heading out for a saturday night of fun...only about 2 miles from home) so I limped the car home.

After finding out how much a new maf cost, I swapped in a GM '7730 computer with speed density air monitoring so I use a map sensor versus a maf sensor.

The conversion cost less than a new 85 MAF sensor.

Mine is a 85 vette, 357 c.i. (on 2nd rebuild by choice), ported afr 190 heads, comp cams hyd. roller retro fit cam, hooker long tube headers, tpis miniram, holley 58 mm throttle body (mabey too big but it was left from my super ram combo), ed wright chip, Ford 24lb svo injectors, etc, etc, etc.

Even with the auto tranny & 3.07 gear the car is still a beast as I can easily spin the tires from a stand still all through 1st gear and chirp into 2nd & such.

If you got any ?'s or such, shoot me an email as I am not on the computer that much.

Alright Dave, what's the latest news? You've been kinda quiet lately and haven't posted anything since June, but you haven't posted anything about this project since January. ;shrug

I know you've been pretty busy with the racing season but you should at least update us with that (racing) information. I hope everything went well for you this season. Is that your #57 or is that another Dave? :confused

_ken :CAC

Hi Ken, yes its been awhile. The # 57 is not our car. His name is Dave but wrong one . Actually my son drives and he's Jake. We only raced the last 3 races of the season . I have been busy with the racing though and the poor ole Vette has seen about 5 drives this year. its still not quite right . Still battling the hi idle prob. New plans are to put it back to somewhat stock. it will still be a 383 with the same cam , but with the stock heads and intake system. I believe the biggest problem is the computor. Just not up to the task of handling the requirements of the performance package......But anyway , we just bought another race car and our car owner will be doing 2 cars next year. His son will be driving also. I'm not sure if anyone keeps up on ASA racing series , but our USPRO series has partnered with ASA and we will be running some races with them . This is a big deal and will offer many more opportunities then in the past. We are excited. I tried to post some pics of the car i built . But they are too big and I dont have the equip to downsize them. The car is pretty cool. I've been wanting to post our progress but without the pics its hard to project the true escence of what we are doing........Lots of stuff going on here I see. Ihave been checking in. I'll keep ya all updated when I can.
Dave ......#8.....
oh yea , we are running FORDS...:eek

I love it! :cool

Ya saw the picture of me in fellow CAC member Dave Bacher's car (TZ Racer) didn't you?

x47_TZ_P9220021.jpg

He runs Tropic Zone Racing out of Florida. Check it out. :CAC

_ken :bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom