Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 headlight motor problem

T

timzim

The headlight motor will not stop spinning once the headlight is in the full upright position. If I turn the head light off it returns to the down position and the motor stops like it should. Any clues ?

Welcome to CAC.

You are having a problem inside the electric actuator. The gear bushings are worn out and need replacing.

Most major vendors like Mid America, Ecklers, etc. carry the replacement bushings. It will require removing the motor, taking off the access cover, cleaning it out and installing new grease and the replacement bushings.

Total cost should be under $20 for everything and about a hour or two of your time.

Tell us more about your car.

85 headlight

I will order them and try it out. Thanks

85 headlight

Would that be the gear set. I don't see any mention of bushings on the Eckler's site.

Yep, on 84-87 you can replace the gears and that will take care of the little rubber bushing all at the same time as an assembly.

Looks like Mid America is
#601-709 for the set (large and small gear) $39.99

You can also upgrade to the Bronze gears in a complete set
#601-697 $179.99

Shop around as you may find better prices.

Be careful. I don't think the 85 will handle the bronze gears as the motor housing will give way if there is a problem. From what I remember a motor change out would be necessary.
Carlo

I agree, I would stay away from the bronze as they won't give resulting in damage to something else.

I was wrong about the quick cheap fix that is common on the newer style. However, from past Fiero experience I can tell you that those plastic gears do get worn down and do exactly what you have noted. They too have rubber inserts in them, but they are complex shapped instead of little bushings like the 87-88 Fiero and 88-96 Vette.

Good luck!

I'll lay odds its your bushings. Go to Home Depot and ask for item number 595609. You will need six of these nylon spacers to repair both headlights. They cost me .69 cents (plus tax) for a pack of three at my local Home Depot store.

Much cheaper than the $7.99 price in MAD, Eckler's and some of the other specialty catalogs and they are the exact same Delrin spacers. Go figure.

If there's a TechTips portal on this Forum search under "headlight bushings." If not, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the instructions I used when I replaced mine a couple of months ago.

Wow this problem is coming up a lot. It's most likely the bushings inside the headlight motor housing, try Mid America or Eckler's, $5.00 for each headlight.

Oh, now I see. I guess someone thought that they would reply to all the headlight problems and post the same suggestion repeatedly that everyone already knows anyway. Seems a little childish.

tyrel said:
Wow this problem is coming up a lot. It's most likely the bushings inside the headlight motor housing, try Mid America or Eckler's, $5.00 for each headlight.

Oh, now I see. I guess someone thought that they would reply to all the headlight problems and post the same suggestion repeatedly that everyone already knows anyway. Seems a little childish.
I was just trying to be helpful, Tyrel. As many of us know, this is a common problem and one I tackled a couple of months ago using bushings from Home Depot.

If attempting to help fellow Corvette enthusiasts is childish, then I guess I'm hopelessly juvenile. I thought that's what it was all about, but what do I know? I'm a newbie here.

I'm sorry if I've gotten off on the wrong foot with you guys... :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom