Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 - Inside door handle just moves, have to reach outside to open door

gmhowe

Corvette
1985 4+3 black cpe & 96 LT1 CE
All of a sudden the inside door handles just move like opening door but that's it. Have to reach outside and use that door handle to open door. Would it be that Hook piece I have seen on YouTube or maybe sumthin else.
Thanx as always
Gordon

Just found a couple of older posts on this issue, will try what they suggested.

Last edited:
Sounds like you get to pull the door panel, remove the water barrier and look in side the door to inspect the metal rods that joint the door release handle to the actual latch assembly.

Take a look at the Factory Service Manual for more details.

All of a sudden the inside door handles just move like opening door but that's it. Have to reach outside and use that door handle to open door. Would it be that Hook piece I have seen on YouTube or maybe sumthin else.
Thanx as always
Gordon

Just found a couple of older posts on this issue, will try what they suggested.

Sounds like you get to pull the door panel, remove the water barrier and look in side the door to inspect the metal rods that joint the door release handle to the actual latch assembly.

Take a look at the Factory Service Manual for more details.
I agree - inside the door, there are a series of rods connecting the lock-unlock-open-close mechanisms. these rods are held in place with small nylon "door rod lock clips." the RH and LH clips are different. on a 30+ year old, they've probably succumb to old age, and most likely need replaced. dorman products has a bubble pack of clips at your local parts house, and I seem to recall they may fit your needs. I bought bulk packages (25 each) on-line. they look similar to these...

A10262-2.jpg

on the inside handle, the rod may be held and locked in place with a metal clip that looks similar to this -

can't remember...

:thumb

Attachments

• 703-239.jpg
    703-239.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
That's the same thing that happened to my 89. Autozone sold a small bag containing various replacement clips that fit mine perfectly. How are your window seals? perfect time to replace them too.
Follow Hib's advice and look at the service manual if you've never pulled a door panel before.

Yep knew the panel would have to come off, funny the FSM for the 85 is kinda vague on stuff, Like nuthing about the Headlight motor which I have to replace. Thanx for the help and advice. seals are less then 2 years old. This car is lucky to get 500 miles on the road a year since my 96 CE is the daily one
Gordon

Yep knew the panel would have to come off, funny the FSM for the 85 is kinda vague on stuff, Like nuthing about the Headlight motor which I have to replace. Thanx for the help and advice. seals are less then 2 years old. This car is lucky to get 500 miles on the road a year since my 96 CE is the daily one
Gordon
Just out of curiosity, are you looking at the factory service manual or something like a Haynes repair guide?

This might help. YouTube

Trying to remember the difference between the driver vs pass door when I did mine and the only thing that comes to mind is the wiper switch. Go slow, be gentle. Those 33 year old plastic parts are pretty easy to break (he says after screwing up a few panel fasteners)

Actually I have all 3 Chilton - Haynes and the FSM, Also have FSM ( 2 volumes ) for my 96 CE. Supposed to rain tomorrow so probably will wait till Wed-Thur to work on it
Thanx

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom