Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 85 Upgraded with 91 Front and Rear End Clip

91-Vetteman

Corvette
1991 Blue Coupe
Hi, I am a current C3 owner and stumbled across in the neighborhood a nice 85, black Vette, 4-speed with 87,000 miles at a decent price. In the advertisement he states, "CORVETTE - 1985 with 1991 updated look." When I asked him to clarify this statement, he said, "The front and rear clip changes were done for appearance only, makes it look like a newer C-4. My Corvette guy says that in Fla. and Calif. that was done quite a bit."

This is originally a Florida car. I am just curious if this is true? Does it affect value / resale ? This will not be a show car, but a weekend nice weather, always garaged type of vehicle.
Thanx in advance for your response !! :beer

'85 with body mods

John-- We had an '81 just like yours. It was white with a saddle interior, 4 speed car. It got a Bloomington Gold Certificate in '92. It was a great car.

About your '85--If the price is " right " I would buy it and enjoy it regardless of the body modifications. If you like it, that is all that matters! :):)

I'd run a Carfax on it to make sure it was only done for "cosmetic" purposes.

Hi, I am a current C3 owner and stumbled across in the neighborhood a nice 85, black Vette, 4-speed with 87,000 miles at a decent price. In the advertisement he states, "CORVETTE - 1985 with 1991 updated look." When I asked him to clarify this statement, he said, "The front and rear clip changes were done for appearance only, makes it look like a newer C-4. My Corvette guy says that in Fla. and Calif. that was done quite a bit."

This is originally a Florida car. I am just curious if this is true? Does it affect value / resale ? This will not be a show car, but a weekend nice weather, always garaged type of vehicle.
Thanx in advance for your response !! :beer

Over the last few years it has been common to replace the front and rear covers of an older year Vette with the new styles. Just to give them the newer look, however as already mentioned it is also common to update due to a vehicle being involved in a wreck. The 84 thru 90 front covers are getting very hard to located in good usable condition.

If someone is looking for an original '85 yes it would detract from the value. If the price is right and you like it buy it! I have never passed on any Vette if the price is right. It's still a Vette:thumb

tcxd40

Just for a bit of clairification, the term "clip" generally refers to changing suspension/ drivetrain. Changing the front & rear bumper covers would certainly make an early model C4 look "newer" ie. newer looking car for less $$ but I'm with ZumZum; Carfax it - and keep in mind; just 'cuz it looks newer doesn't make it any less expensive to work on!

Post some pics! lets see what it looks like!

Pics of 85 with 91 front and rear clip

Here are some pics !! I took her for a ride today, sounded good and was definitely fun to drive !! :W

The only thing that looks odd is the exhaust tips are really low. They should be tighter to the body.

Looks good, though all black vettes look good!

tcxd40

I'd run a Carfax on it to make sure it was only done for "cosmetic" purposes.
Only problem with that is if it didn't go through insurance, and the owner paid for repairs it will not show up. Of course carfax is better than nothing though.

To the OP car looks great!

85 Description and Asking Price

Here are some facts about the car.

CORVETTE - 1985 with 1991 updated look. Recent new paint. 350 cu. in. tuned port injec., 4 sp. w/o.d. (MANUAL) Edelbrock valve covers, Lingerfelter Headers, Davis Ignition, Eagle Mag's w/locks, Coupe, C.D., Bose speakers,cruise, tilt, pwr steering/windows/drivers seat/mirrors. Exc. driver 25 M.P.H. hiwy. Fun car 87M orig. mi's. lots of new parts, T.L.C. Comes with Wolf Bra, and car cover. Always garaged 3 owner, seller is mature adult!

The car was repainted in 2003, and is in very good condition. The interior is a medium gray leather. No rips or tears, usual wear. All interior gauges and switches work, floor mats are good also. The engine is the 350 cu. in. L-98 as orig. it has Lingerfelter headers, stainless exhaust, K&N air filter, Davis ign. H.P. is probably around 250 give or take. I have had replaced, the digital dash module, starter, heater core,all shocks, and new B.F Goodrich tires. The removeable top is in good shape, tho its not a T-top. Four bolts take the top section out and it stores in clips in the boot. Since the steering wheel was changed, the car did not have a horn when I bought it, so I've installed a horn w/a button. I'm not aware of any engine, trans., clutch prob's. It shifts well, has an elec. o.d. button which works in the top 3 gears. Its very good on gas on the interstate. It has tilt, cruise, pwr. windows, pwr drivers seat controls, and pwr windows. It hs a 10 C.D. changer mounted behind the drivers seat which works. The sound system is o.k., probably could use some adjusting.

The wheely bars (exhaust tips) are exhaust extensions and I would change them out to some square type of SS tip. He is asking $8000. It has been on the market about a month. I will come in with something lower. Still researching some comparable prices. Again, appreciate any advise or suggestions !!

The wheely bars (exhaust tips) are exhaust extensions and I would change them out to some square type of SS tip. He is asking $8000. It has been on the market about a month. I will come in with something lower. Still researching some comparable prices. Again, appreciate any advise or suggestions !![/quote].

It's a little pricey for a '85 with 87K. I just picked up a '93 with 71K for $7200.00. Needs a little work nothing major.

However there has been alot of work done and extras are included in this '85. Looks good and you stated that it performs well. I'd ask to put it on a lift to check the floor pans and general underbody. I have found on several C4 that the floor pans have been crushed due to improper lifting. So I'm leary about purchasing without looking underneath.
tcxd40

In my opinion it looks nice but looking nice doesn't always
get you a good car. I personally think for 8k you can get
A newer model for the same price and less.
I just got finished shopping for a new one in Dec. and I saw
this one on Craigslist. I passed looking at it when he wouldn't
give the vin over the phone.
If you are willing to drive a few miles from Richmond I just saw a
real nice black 93 for 6,900 on craigslist in Charlotte with 86k miles.
My point is this guy was arrogant as hell over the phone and to not
give out the vin is kinda puzzling.

regarding replacing of bumpers

Has anyone done or know of replacing rear and front bumpers of early models 1984-1990 with newer models of C4s. Does that change require fabrication or it is just a clip on/ bolt on job.

ThanX

Easy Answer

They bolt right up. Only changes is the trim, you have to change out the door trim with the wide body color type as well as the front lower fenders :thumb:thumb:thumb easy job

Has anyone done or know of replacing rear and front bumpers of early models 1984-1990 with newer models of C4s. Does that change require fabrication or it is just a clip on/ bolt on job.

ThanX

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom