Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'87 Coupe Preventative Maintenance

H

hoot

Bought my first Corvette this summer, an '87 Coupe. It looks good and runs good but it is pushing 100K miles. Since I didn't get any service records, outside of a recent oil change, I was wondering what mechanical PM I should do this winter to make sure everything is in good condition for when the Washington rains stop next spring?

Also, anyone know a reliable shop in Southwest Washington State?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would change the fuel filter, differential fluid, and put some injector cleaner in the gas tank.
;)

Congratulations on your purchase. If it's going into storage, I would disconnect the battery.

A coolant change would not be a bad thing to do. Also replace the upper and lower radiator hoses. Some of the pre-molded heater hoses are no longer available so you may have to do some searching. You wil need 2 gallons of green coolant and two gallons of distilled water. A new pressure cap is cheap insurance.

Check the condition of the tranny fluid. It should look a reddish color and clear. If it's brown and possibly has a burned aroma to it, get a tranny service done. Full flush and new filter.

The differential is not hard to service but you have to suck out the old gear oil. Use a good 80W-90 GL5-rated gear oil and add two bottles of the GM posi additive.

The power steering fluid can be flushed out by sucking out the old stuff in the reservoir bottle and adding new fluid, then driving for a day and repeat for three or 4 days.

Is the brake fluid in the reservoir dirty? You can suck it out of the master cylinder reservoir with a cheap $1.99 turkey baster and refill with a good new DOT3 fluid. Then bleed the lines using a pressure bleeder like the Motive unit. If the flex lines to the calipers look old, it might be a good time to install new ones.

Check the serpentine belt for cracks on the ribbed side. A new belt won't hurt.

Pull the wheels and check the brake pads to make sure there is a reasonable amount of material left on them.

Some of these things can wait for Spring if you are not going to drive the car during the winter months. But I would certainly check the coolant to make sure that it has adequate freeze protection (down to -35 degrees is typical).

Where are you located in SW Washington? You might try Corvette and High Performance in Olympia to see what they would recommend.

When I purchased my 92 I was'nt real confident in the previous owners mechanic. I wont go into all the details but it hinged on deceit, and this was a corvette shop that did his maintenance.
Since then I have been slowly going thru all the systems. The first thing was clearing codes and getting the engine running smooth and strong. All fluids, hoses, belts, wires, plugs, water pump were changed.
Next was the drive line, a new clutch, slave and master clutch cyl. all new u joints and c.v. joints. trans oil, diff oil.
Next I went thru the suspension, its all brand new and upgraded. Every joint, bushing were replaced. Yup they were needed, 15 yrs old does that to parts. Along with new stiffer springs, shocks and sway bars.
Currently the car is back on jack stands awaiting delivery of the rest of my brake parts from VB&P. That will zero time all calipers, hoses, pads and fluid to new condition.
And when thats all done my engine will get a healthy upgrade. Probably next yr sometime.
Its an ongoing project interupted by miles of smiles.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom