Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 corvette steering wheel

Robert12

Corvette
1988 Silver
I have a great 88. My interior is flawless, the only flaw that I can see is that my steering wheel is worn on the left side. I don;t know if I should get a new one or have this wheel regriped if that is even possible. New ones cost about $175.00.

I have seen on e-bay a number of steering wheels that I can get to fit my vette. However, is there any additional parts that I have to replace when replacing the steerling wheel or is it just the wheel itself . And also is it a job that I can do or should I take it to the dealer.

thanks

Bob Lampman

I replaced mine because the leather was worn. It was fairley easy just need to remember how you took the parts for the telescoping feature off. You may want a new center cap to match the wheel they are available. There was one problem I had the end of the shaft split from the wheel puller but apparently the previous owner had done something to it to weaken it.

I replaced mine last year, bought a replacement from MAD (not oem, no core charge). Piece of cake to do it, maybe 1 hour.

Hi Tony, what is MAD?

WHere in Pa are you. I am in Scranton - Wilkes Barre area .

Mine was easy to swap around. Then again my '85 doesn't have an air bag.

I used a later model steering wheel from Mid America because it's thicker. I like the thick leather rim much better than the thin one that was standard on the early C4s.

It's been on the car now about seven years and the Florida sun hasn't killed it yet.

Richard Newton

101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996

Corvette Restoration Guide: 1963-1967

Hi Tony, what is MAD?

WHere in Pa are you. I am in Scranton - Wilkes Barre area .

MAD is Mid-America-Designs host of this site, request their catalogs, aksi Ecklers and Corvette America have the same aftermarket wheels too. One friend got a rebuilt and I didn't think it was that good so and cost more so I went for the aftermarket.

I'm in Frackville, just south of youj on I-81

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom