Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 88 Covertible Tailight Bulb Replacement

McSnagg

Corvette
1988 Triple Black Convertible Z52 4+3
How do you get at the left outer tailight bulb on an 88 convertible? I checked my Helms manual, and theres no way I can squeeze my arm in there from the bottom as recommended. Also tried by taking the license plate off...again no way.

Do I have to drop the exhaust?

Try removing the cover and the surround of the fuel filler area. I removed the license plate stuff, and then the filler, and then the inner tailite stuff before I could get at the outer lens. When you do get to it replace all the bulbs just because it's such a PITA to do. I'm sure there are others here who can give you specific help.

Another suggestion: If you can see the item, but can't get your hand in there - I had that happen when I needed to replace the power antenna assembly, I could see but couldn't reach it, so I enlisted the help of my neighbors young son who had long skinny arms. His hands and my directions worked out well. I gave him $50 for the two hours it took us both. The garage wanted to remove the rear bumper and would have cost me $250 +.

Tony...here comes MY favorite way yet again as to how to do this :rotfl you knew it WAS coming right?
The EASIEST and FASTEST WAY :chuckle (unless you can quickly drop the exhaust) IS to do it from the license plate area. It took me Less than an hour to replaces all 4 lenses with LED's.
I removed the license plate and both reverse lights. I stuck my arm in and easily undid the inner bulbs. Since I was replacing the lenses I removed the inner ones and stuck my arm through hole to reach the outers.

Now I know you arent replacing a lens BUT ...I STILL think that its Faster and Easier to remove the 2 inner lenses! There are only 2 bolts (10mm) at the 4 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions. Once the lens if free it takes all of 30 seconds to change the outer bulb. :upthumbs

I do it exactly the same way. Be sure and start the 10mm screws in the holes in the cover BEFORE you try and put the lens base back into place.

I removed the screws that hold the rear fender panel to the inner fender well. That way I was able to get enough flex in the fender to stick my arm up in between the muffler and the fender.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom