Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

89 alarm

How do I set the alarm on my 89 Corvette?

On mine, the alarm turns on when you lock the door using the power lock switch. It gets turned off using the key to open the door. Simple test would be to lock the car (with the window down) reach through the window unlock the door and open it. The alarm should go off. Once it goes off, it gets deactivated by putting the key in the ignition and turn it on.

Last edited:
Alarm

On mine, the alarm turns on when you lock the door using the power lock switch. It gets turned off using the key to open the door. Simple test would be to lock the car (with the window down) reach through the window unlock the door and open it. The alarm should go off. Once it goes off, it gets deactivated by putting the key in the ignition and turn it on.
ThankyouScott.
I had to put the key in the door to shut the alarm off. I had it running and the alarm was still going off and I was getting a little worried until I put the key in the door.
Thanks again,
Darcy

Welcome to the Forum! And, you're driving an 89 C4 Convertible? Not that I'm biased towards 89 verts but, still think they're one of the best looking Corvettes ever made. Post a photo when you get a chance.

I had to put the key in the door to shut the alarm off.

That is correct. Using the key in the ignition will not reset the alarm. Using the key in either door should shut off the alarm.

If you want to lock the doors without setting the alarm, you can use the manual locking levers, or lock the doors with the key. When you use the push button power door locks, that will set the alarm.

Later Corvette's are probably different. I don't think your '89 has a keyless entry, or does it?

:w

That is correct. Using the key in the ignition will not reset the alarm. Using the key in either door should shut off the alarm.

If you want to lock the doors without setting the alarm, you can use the manual locking levers, or lock the doors with the key. When you use the push button power door locks, that will set the alarm.

Later Corvette's are probably different. I don't think your '89 has a keyless entry, or does it?

Interesting, when my alarm is tripped, it won't shut off until I start the car. Just unlocking the door doesn't kill it after it goes off. And no, 89's didn't have keyless entrys.

Interesting, when my alarm is tripped, it won't shut off until I start the car. Just unlocking the door doesn't kill it after it goes off.

Yes, that's very interesting! Would it be possible for you to post a copy of the page in your FSM for the security system?

Alarm

No keyless entry.
Thanks

Yes, that's very interesting! Would it be possible for you to post a copy of the page in your FSM for the security system?

I would if I could but, I'd have to have one first. The only thing that came with my car was an old speeding ticket (Palmer Lake, Colorado, 108 mph, reckless driving) the former owner left under the seat. No books, no manual, no nuthin. Figured out the hard way how to turn it on/off.

I have a '90 which is a bit different. Once the VATS(alarm & vehicle antitheft system) is activated, the starter won't crank and the fuel pump wont energize to pump fuel to the engine. As well as the horn and lights going. Plus you MUST de-activate the VATS with the door key. There are switches mounted on the door key mechanism.

Also I believe keyless entry (FOBs) didn't come from the factory till I think '92 or 3. If anyone wants the FSM schematic for the '90. I have the FSM and could look it up and post it.

Let me know.

Last edited:
I had to put the key in the door to shut the alarm off.

Couple days after I bought my 89, my wife took it out to ride around town and shop. I was golfing with a friend, and had turned off my cell and left it in my friend's car, along with his. After golfing, my friend turned his phone on and had a rambling angry curse word filled 3 minute msg from my wife with the alarm sounding off in the background. Apparently the alarm had gone off and she didn't know how to turn it off. She drove home from the shopping center (6 miles) with it blaring and a neighbor unhooked the battery. She never drove that 'f*****' car again. Friend still has the msg on his phone(12 yrs old). :L

If you disconnect the ground from the battery for a minute. "Sometimes" the vats will reset so the alarm won't sound.

To little too late....I'm sure.

Betcha the wife was "pissed." But.....That is a good way to keep her from driving the Vette.......ROFLMAO!

I can picture it in my mind.....priceless!

While details of the Vehicle Theft Systems vary from year to year, there is one function that ALL years have: A StarterIinterrupt. If the alarm is triggered, and sounding, it should NOT crank. If it does crank and does or does not start, the starter interrupt relay has been bypassed.

The alarms function pretty much the same for 84-89. In 86 VATS is incorporated into the alarm in that if triggered, the fuel enable signal is not sent to the ECM, so no injection. But the starter shouldn't engage either.

In 1990-up, the VTS becomes incorporated into the BCM. Any "wake-up" input to the BCM will set off the alarm. Including park lights, and inserting the key into the ignition. In 1993, the PKE system will dis arm the alarm when the fob comes in range of a car with an armed system.

A common misconception of disarming the alarm is that "turning on the ignition" silences a triggered alarm. Not true. If it did, the starter interrupt wouldn't be effective, would it? Turning on the key will disarm an armed (not triggered) system. Ie, sit in the car, open the door, lock with the power locks, close door and system arms. Now turn on the key, and system disarms. UNLESS the time since the door closing was long enough for the BCM to go to sleep. (15-300 seconds, depends). If the key is now inserted, alarm will sound. If BCM was still awake, or key left in ignition (won't sleep for hours), alarm will disarm with key-on.

Another way to reset the alarm if the thing is blaring, and you can't get it to shut off is to reset the ECM

The ECM is not incorporated into, nor has anything to do with the alarms system in ANY C4 year. 84-89 the alarm module is behind the radio. In 90-96 the alarm is incorporated into the BCM which is on the transmission tunnel under the HVAC controls. Some years have a separate VATS module for the key resistor and generates the fuel-enable signal for the ECM, and the 93-96 have a separate PKE module that has an interface to the BCM for alarm control.
The ECM isn't part of the alarm system.

The ECM is not incorporated into, nor has anything to do with the alarms system in ANY C4 year. The 84-89 alarm module is behind the radio.

You are so right about the ECM! I don't know where I came up with that info. I am deleting that garbage, in order to keep this forum clean!

The starter interrupt relay is located behind the center panel (above the radio), but the alarm module is located behind the pass. side knee bolster. :)

Security Module.jpg

While details of the Vehicle Theft Systems vary from year to year, there is one function that ALL years have: A StarterIinterrupt. If the alarm is triggered, and sounding, it should NOT crank. If it does crank and does or does not start, the starter interrupt relay has been bypassed.

The alarms function pretty much the same for 84-89. In 86 VATS is incorporated into the alarm in that if triggered, the fuel enable signal is not sent to the ECM, so no injection. But the starter shouldn't engage either.

In 1990-up, the VTS becomes incorporated into the BCM. Any "wake-up" input to the BCM will set off the alarm. Including park lights, and inserting the key into the ignition. In 1993, the PKE system will dis arm the alarm when the fob comes in range of a car with an armed system.

A common misconception of disarming the alarm is that "turning on the ignition" silences a triggered alarm. Not true. If it did, the starter interrupt wouldn't be effective, would it? Turning on the key will disarm an armed (not triggered) system. Ie, sit in the car, open the door, lock with the power locks, close door and system arms. Now turn on the key, and system disarms. UNLESS the time since the door closing was long enough for the BCM to go to sleep. (15-300 seconds, depends). If the key is now inserted, alarm will sound. If BCM was still awake, or key left in ignition (won't sleep for hours), alarm will disarm with key-on.

Sounds like some of our C4's have gremlins. Otter's wife should not have been able to start the car and drive it home with the alarm blaring. Mine shouldn't have to have been started to silence the alarm after unlocking the door. Oiumetd shouldn't have been able to start his car with the alarm going off. Electronics are so much fun...

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom