Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 89 COUPE BUYING ADVICE NEEDED...

1965RRR

Corvette
1965 Rally Red Roadster
Hey Everyone,

I found a one-owner 89 Black Coupe, automatic, well maintained with service records, clean in and out, possibly all original, new tires, new head gasket and injectors. The car runs great.

My concern is the 110,000 miles. Should I be concerned about the mileage? What is the life expectancy of the L98?

I can pick it up for about $8,500.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much, especially since you know the maintenance history. But I might add here, that is plenty $ for an 89. I don't want to sound like the bearer of bad news, but, C4 values are in the dumpster. You should be able to find a nice lower mile newer C4 for that price. It is definitely a buyers market. I hate that because I'd like to sell my 94 but can't really get what I'd like to have for it.

In the end you have to make your own decisions, if you are happy, feel confident about the quality of the car, do buy it. The price isn't all that bad and the "smiles per gallon" you get will be worth the $ spent. Keep us abreast of your search.:Steer:w

If it was will kept up.. 110k shouldn't be too bad.. I picked up my 88' with 147k on it and I just took it and had a smog check. It pass a lot better that I expected and from the readings, I would think that I am looking at a car with less mileage.

If your really concerned. Ask if you can have the engine tested (compression and/or Leak down) by a shop that both you and the seller would trust. If you want to take it one step more, have a sample of the oil tested. It may cost you, but at lease you will put to rest any concern on the high mileage questions and health of the engine.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much, especially since you know the maintenance history. But I might add here, that is plenty $ for an 89. I don't want to sound like the bearer of bad news, but, C4 values are in the dumpster. You should be able to find a nice lower mile newer C4 for that price. It is definitely a buyers market. I hate that because I'd like to sell my 94 but can't really get what I'd like to have for it.

In the end you have to make your own decisions, if you are happy, feel confident about the quality of the car, do buy it. The price isn't all that bad and the "smiles per gallon" you get will be worth the $ spent. Keep us abreast of your search.:Steer:w

I agree ... both with mileage and with price. I own a '90 Coupe and have seen the value continually slide since I bought it about a year ago. It has 92K miles on it and runs strong and clean. So mileage shouldn't be too much of an issue on a well-maintained '89. I think if I could get $8,500 for mine, I might consider it, but then I would need to run out and buy another.

The price might be a tad high ,but on the other hand the condition sounds good.I had a 69 that had almost 300,000 mile when I sold it in 03 for $15,000.Any good vett that looks and runs well for $10,000 or less isn't that bad.

If I we're you and really liked the car ,i'd but it.

The mileage isn't too bad for an 18 year old car and since you can get the service records you should be able to tell if there are any recurring problems. $8,500 isn't a bad price. Unless the car is totally trashed I've never seen a Corvette depreciate to 0.00 so you'll always get some money out of it should you decide to sell. Look at it this way, the original owner paid about $32,000 (in 1989 $$) so he's taking a loss at least three time what you'll ever lose.

In September 2005 I purchased a 2002 convertible. My DD until then had been a 1988 Coupe. I rarely drove the '88 after picking up the C5 so last June I sold it to a guy in Ohio. It had 166K miles on it and it still ran very well. He flew in an drove it home. A well maintained L98 will last a long time. I expect my '88 will make it over 200K miles.:w

I'll give you my mint 1989 convertible for that 65 roadster and guarantee the motor for 200k! :D

Seriously, I would not be concerned about the motor not lasting - it's the little things that will get ya!
Of course the usual maintenance stuff and Door/window/roof weather seal, electrical stuff (dash, windows, seats, etc.), seat wear, paint, etc. If you are happy with the cosmetic stuff then it should be OK.
Price is a bit on the high side but if you like the car go for it - you may also want to consider that for not too much more $$$ you can also find one with lower miles.

If all else fails I'll bring you my 89 and drive your 65 home! :D

As others have said, if the car is well maintained I see no reason to be concerned. A well maintained L98 can easily go for 200,000 miles. I think the price is too high though, I certainly wouldn't pay more than $6,500 for it. There are thousands of C4s on the market right now, so if he doesn't budge on the price just keep looking. Just my opinion.

Edit: Since you own a midyear, I won't chime in about the endless repairs that an aging corvette needs, but with the 89 here are a few things: check the heater core, this thing is a b*tch to replace and at 110,000 miles it would be a miracle if it were still working and someone hasn't replaced it already. The shaft seal is probably leaking around the a/c compressor if it hasn't been changed out already, just look for the telltale oil buildup on the underside of the hood. And check the rear camber bolts, I see lots of C4s where these were not tightened properly and the wheels are angled inward, looks awful. The wire harness directly behind and underneath the battery has a tendency to corrode over time, check this area VERY CAREFULLY, remove the battery if you have to, and inspect the wires. There are several threads from other forums where engine fires have started in this exact area, and I have a hunch that it's because of corrosion. And of course make sure the headlights work, the bushings tend to wear out and cause floppy rotation or none at all.

Hey Everyone,

I really appreciate all your thoughts and advice. I decided to hold off for now. If anyone knows of a nice C4 that is looking for a new home, please let me know.

Thanks and best wishes,

Andy

I have 177k on my 91. The L98 has never been touched other than normal maint. and it runs great. The Trans just went on me this fall before I put it away for the season. The asking price is not really bad considering the condition. Its not a steal of a deal but I think its a fair asking/wishing/starting price. Offer less, he can only say no ??????????

Too much money???

So I'm reading this post and most are saying Gee $8,500.00 is too much, way too much, buyer's market bla bla bla.Did they look at it yesterday??:eyerole
I sold my 2 owner 87 roadster last year with 80k for $16,000.00 and I thought it was worth more.Mind you if you looked at 20 84-89 Corvettes and then saw mine you'd probably pay whatever I asked. It was flawless.
Have you established a base line for poor good excellent and flawless?
Do you have a colour preference?
No one on this forum can say what this car is worth.
Only you with plenty of research into value based on condition can look at this car and determine it's worth.
Generalizations about early C4's value in the toilet are just that generalizations.
The general public would say any car from the 60's is now worthless,another generalization Hmmmmm I think there may be some exceptions and they are the ones you just buy cause they are worth every penny and sometimes more.
MY $00.02 :w

I sold my 2 owner 87 roadster last year with 80k for $16,000.00 and I thought it was worth more.Mind you if you looked at 20 84-89 Corvettes and then saw mine you'd probably pay whatever I asked. It was flawless.

That is an extraordinary price for a 1987 roadster in today's market! :)

As much as I don't like to generalize about the C4 market, it is absolutely true that they just are not bringing in the money that maybe they should today. The only models that are pretty much holding their own is the Grand Sport and the ZR-1. It's unfortunate, but that is the way it is in the Corvette world at this time.

Elaine

MY 1989

Well I agree that the c4's are not going anywhere with their prices, however I purchased a 1989 that was mint, had 18k on it, all service records, one owner and I spent 12k to get it, but it was what I wanted, it was original down to the factory marks...so it is all about what you want...

NICE BUY

INTERESTING
Based on the mileage this car has it is about 2 years old (wear and tear).
You obviously like the look of this 89 and might have bought one new in 1989 if you could of.
My point is you got your (near new)89 Corvette and only paid about 1/3 the original price.HELLUVA DEAL!!!!!!

Just look at what people are paying for 2 year old Corvettes(05-06)right now.

They might be the LATEST Technically but they aren't nearly as cool as your 18 year old (NEW) car with the SAME MILEAGE!!!!!:upthumbs

YES I AGREE

Yes, you are right, in 89 I could not afford to buy this car and based on wear and tear it is two years old, I personally love the c4 look and tech that is there on them, hope to get a newer 1995 or 1996 when I find one for the right price, I have a 1975 and I like the 89 better as a daily driver which is what I use it for in the warmer months, the 1975 is nice to take to shows but does not compare with the ride of the 89...

Something you don't want to forget is that time has a detrimental effect on anything rubber related. I have a 90 and 2 yrs ago I was able to find one of the heater hoses new but not the other. Maybe they are available at specialty site but not from the average auto suppliers. Many of the parts are getting harder to find.These types of things have to be considered in the price when buying older corvettes.

Glenn
:w

REPLACE...

Yes I know...already had to repalce the tires as they were from 1989 and starting to show dry rot...also the belt needed replaced, I kepp a list of other items that will need replaced esp. like you said the rubber items and as I run on to these , I get them and put into box for safe keeping, if I ever get rid of it someone will not have to do anything...:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom