Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'89 runs rough when at operating temperature

marathon26

Corvette
'13 N R Blue Metallic Cpe & '15 Crystal Red Conv
The '89 has a problem when it reaches operating temperature. It starts to run rough and sometimes dies. If it has not reached operating temperature by the time I reach my destination, when I come out it won't start until the engine has cooled down. I have replaced the control module inside the distributor and the coil. Since I was there and it was so much fun to work in that area, I replaced the distributor and the rotor. Prior to doing this I had the fuel pressure checked and it was on target.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The '89 has a problem when it reaches operating temperature. It starts to run rough and sometimes dies. If it has not reached operating temperature by the time I reach my destination, when I come out it won't start until the engine has cooled down. I have replaced the control module inside the distributor and the coil. Since I was there and it was so much fun to work in that area, I replaced the distributor and the rotor. Prior to doing this I had the fuel pressure checked and it was on target.

You need to check the Temp Sensor under the throttle body and see if it's sending the right temp to the ECM!!:thumb:thumb:thumbThey'll sometimes not be working within range and cause running problems Cold or Hot,and not trip a code!:thumbYou'll need a scanner that has a real time Data Mode!:thumb

Was the FP test a dynamic test or static?

Static (motor off) test needs to include pressure bleed-down time.

Dynamic (motor running) pressure would not show weak injectors, since more fuel is pumped that gets used. This would mask weak injectors. AND, weak injectors atomizes fuel poorly, and a warm motor, in turn, does not burn excess fuel well. Cold motor STILL would start right away...

Is it loping idle at all?

Not sure how the fuel pressure test was run. I can only assume it was run properly. By loping idle, if you mean fluctuating between 6 and 700 rpm, the answer is yes.

If you did not check the fuel pressure yourself (or anything else), do not assume it was "checked" correctly. I would also check the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum line off of the regulater, if there are signs of fuel, then the diaphram has a hole in it and it is not regulating fuel pressure.

CG

Problem solved

New injectors and the problem is solved.:beer

The pressure was goo

Pressure tested out good.

:confused

And the injectors ohmed out ok?

Failed test

Three of the injectors failed the ohm test.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom