Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'89 Wheel Center Cap Prepping

T

tonylong

I finally loosened the #@&## coded screws holding on the center caps with only slight damage to my knuckles. I'd like to put some kind of treatment on the large rubber O rings that are around the perimeter of the caps, and also put some anti-seize stuff on the #@&## screws. I've also thought about replacing the #@&## screws with hex or another type screws.
Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated.
TIA

milehigreg

Corvette
1989 Dark Red Coupe
#% ^@! Center Cap bolts!

Three of the four came off easily. The 4th which was of course on the wheel with that picked up the nail - stuck tight!:mad It wasn't corroded in the threads it was just tightend up to o much when it was last instaled. Had to drill the top off. The coded key isn't designed for very much torque. I used a hex bolt in its place for about two weeks but the guy who drilled out the bolt had a great used set of chrome ZR-1 wheels with GSCs. :upthumbs Problem solved! See avatar

T

tonylong

I found that 303 Aerospace Protectant is safe to use on rubber and other stuff. It doesn't contain silicon, or any flouro/bromo/chloro-carbons and is biodegradable. I also found that I didn't need any of the large O-rings used on the wheel center caps. All I need is some of the plastic "straw" material used to keep window screens in their frame. The O rings don't actually seal anything, they just keep the caps from rattling. Hope this helps someone else.

CTYANK2

Corvette
1989 Triple Black Convertible 2011 V-Yellow Z06
The center cap screws don't need to be very tight. They won't come off and just need to be snug.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom