Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'89 Wheel Center Cap Prepping

T

tonylong

I finally loosened the #@&## coded screws holding on the center caps with only slight damage to my knuckles. I'd like to put some kind of treatment on the large rubber O rings that are around the perimeter of the caps, and also put some anti-seize stuff on the #@&## screws. I've also thought about replacing the #@&## screws with hex or another type screws.
Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated.
TIA

#% ^@! Center Cap bolts!

Three of the four came off easily. The 4th which was of course on the wheel with that picked up the nail - stuck tight!:mad It wasn't corroded in the threads it was just tightend up to o much when it was last instaled. Had to drill the top off. The coded key isn't designed for very much torque. I used a hex bolt in its place for about two weeks but the guy who drilled out the bolt had a great used set of chrome ZR-1 wheels with GSCs. :upthumbs Problem solved! See avatar

I found that 303 Aerospace Protectant is safe to use on rubber and other stuff. It doesn't contain silicon, or any flouro/bromo/chloro-carbons and is biodegradable. I also found that I didn't need any of the large O-rings used on the wheel center caps. All I need is some of the plastic "straw" material used to keep window screens in their frame. The O rings don't actually seal anything, they just keep the caps from rattling. Hope this helps someone else.

The center cap screws don't need to be very tight. They won't come off and just need to be snug.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom