Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'90 coupe low voltage

bertsbassbox

Corvette
1990 orange metallic coupe
Hi guys. I have a '90 coupe and at idle the voltage shows 14.6, but when i turn the lights on then step on the brakes the lights dim a little and the voltage needle goes down a little. Then when I put the car in drive the volts drop to 10 or 11. I took it to advanced auto and they load tested the battery and it showed good and the alternator showed good too. I replaced the alternator with a brand new one a week ago because of the same problem but it didn't help. Any ideas on what might be the problem? Thanks for any help!

Hi guys. I have a '90 coupe and at idle the voltage shows 14.6, but when i turn the lights on then step on the brakes the lights dim a little and the voltage needle goes down a little. Then when I put the car in drive the volts drop to 10 or 11. I took it to advanced auto and they load tested the battery and it showed good and the alternator showed good too. I replaced the alternator with a brand new one a week ago because of the same problem but it didn't help. Any ideas on what might be the problem? Thanks for any help!
Check and Clean "ALL" Grounds!! Ex-Specially From Battery to Chassis and Engine!!!!!:upthumbs

If cleaning all the connections don't fix it. Then I would say you have a fried diode or even two in the alt. Unless your belt is slipping really badly, which isn't that likely with the serpentine belt .

Glenn
:w

Junk, a blown fuse wouldn't allow any charge, would it ?

If cleaning all the connections don't fix it. Then I would say you have a fried diode or even two in the alt. Unless your belt is slipping really badly, which isn't that likely with the serpentine belt .

Glenn
:w

Junk, a blown fuse wouldn't allow any charge, would it ?
No,a fuse wouldn't do it!! But if someone has put a Larger pulley on the alternator to gain a couple HP,that might!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom