Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'91 ZF6, Clicking Clutch Master Cylinder

rkew

Corvette
Roman Red '62 and Competition Yellow '91 Coupe
I replaced the clutch and all associated accessories (dual-mass flywheel, throw-out bearing, pressure plate, clutch slave, master cyliner, etc.) a number of months ago and I'm getting this single tick feel/noise at the very bottom of my clutch pedal travel. The new clutch works great but the tick is driving me nuts. I've checked everything under the instrument panel along the lines of the clutch pedal linkage and all looks good.

If I put my hand on the clutch master cylinder and have somebody stroke the clutch pedal, it feels like the click is originating from within the master cylinder, but I'm wondering if it's really originating down in the clutch/clutch fork/throw-out bearing/clutch slave area and resonating back up to the master cyliner and the clutch pedal via the hydraulic system.???

Any thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated. Although the master cylinder is new, I'd much rather gamble a $100 and replace a new master cylinder than remove and re-install the transmission and clutch housing again. What a pain.

Ryan

I would suspect the throw out bearing.;shrug

Glenn
:w

What about the throw out bearing? Not lubed properly where the fork contacts it? The bearing is brand new.

It could be defective. It might have a rough spot on the race. Hopefully someone with experience with the vette clutch chimes in. I also wonder if it might not be install quite right. You say it only does it when it is fully depressed ? If that is the case it could have something to do with the angle.I am not real clear on this, does it click just once or is it continus when the clutch is held in ?
Someone has to have had this.

Glenn

Just a single, slight pop at the bottom of the range of travel, and typically only if my foot/the pedal is moving towards the floor at a pretty good rate (i.e., if I'm depressing the pedal really slowly, it usually won't pop). And as far as I can tell, there's really no audible noise associated with the pop, which is why I now suspect it's not happening under the dash. I think I'll drop the ZF Doc an email and see if he has any thoughts. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks for your thoughts.

could be the fork binding on the ball.

Glenn

Yeah, I can see that. What do you think is the most probable cause of the bind (damage aside, I don't believe there is any)? Lack of lube?

I'm trying to visualize if there's any way to get some lube to that joint without removing the transmission. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom