Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

91 zr1

02-TR-Z06

I looking at a Green on tan 1991 Zr1 tonight. What should I be looking for as far as problems (never looked at a ZR1 before). It has 9,800 miles on it.

My wife looked at it and said the seats (etc) looked like it had a 109,000 miles on it.

The sticker is $33,000, But he has a buyer for my 91 so they have said I could have it for $28,000.

My car is in great shape 30,000 miles red on red 6 speed L98, Would you do the swap??

Thanks

Look at the oil cooler lines. There are 2 that go into the upper right hand side of the oil cooler in front of the radiator. They connect to the engine block just under and to the right of the oil filter. These have a tendency to leak on older models, but are very easy to replace. GM updated the design of these hoses.

When you go to start the car, turn the ignition key on but do not start the car, (keep your head outside the car) and listen for what sounds like a small pump. This is the secondary port throttle vacuum pump which you can see under the passenger side headlight in front of the cooland overflow tank. The pump should run for about 5-10 seconds and shut off. It will intermittently go on for a few seconds to keep the vacuum level up. If you turn the key after not running the car for a while and you do not hear the pump, or ever hear the pump turn on at all, most likely it's burned out and will need to be replaced. Again....an easy repair. Assuming there are no leaks in the sytem, the secondaries can continue to operate normally on only the vacuum created by the engine, but not for long at WOT. This is why some owners fail to even realize that the pump is not working properly as the secondaries will continue to operate normally under most conditions.

What else.....that's all I can think of right now off the top of my head. Wish I was back up in NH to go look at it with you. I will email my phone number to you. You're more than welcome to call me if you have questions on the spot while looking at it.

If I can also help in any way,please feel free to give me a call.
Clint Hooper
LT5 Registry
(940)855-6636

Are you asking if the "deal" were $ 28k difference after trade in should you do it? If that is the question I would say "no". I may have misunderstood the question, disregard if i have.

ArtZR1991 said:
Are you asking if the "deal" were $ 28k difference after trade in should you do it? If that is the question I would say "no". I may have misunderstood the question, disregard if i have.

I was not too clear with my question.
It should be a two part question.
1- is $ 28k in the ball park for a 91 ZR1 with 9,800 miles.
2 - if you had the chance would you go for the ZR1.

Denzil

91Red6Sp said:

I was not too clear with my question.
It should be a two part question.
1- is $ 28k in the ball park for a 91 ZR1 with 9,800 miles.
2 - if you had the chance would you go for the ZR1.

Denzil

My answer: Yes to both questions. If the ZR-1 is in good condition, I think 28k is a reasonible price for such a low mileage car. Just my .02

Jason

I agree, but check it carefully.

Thanks for the clarification.

Looked at the car tonight. Interior did not look like a car with 9,800 miles on it (read that as not taken care of). A lot of scratches and (for a lack of a better description) dings on the car.

Under the hood was dirty and looked like a fast/bad detail job was done on it. But everything was there and working. Clutch made a wicked noise even louder when clutch petal was released.

The thing had no "power" (yes it was on full power). it also had a big bog when gas pedal was pressed. The salesmen said "just need a tune up". There was something not right with the engine! The oil needed changed?? I would think they would have changed the oil??

They had given me a price of $28,000 on the phone.... But when I got there it was now $33,900.

I told them good bye!

This was not the right "KING" for my garage.

I will say this...... Your heart really starts beating when you open that hood and you see that engine :J

Thanks for all the info and help.
Denzil

You did the right thing, Red.

There'll be another one.

Art, if possible, could you try and minimize the size of your picture in your signature? In the past, we've tried to keep a restriction of 12 KB or less on signature pictures in order to keep forum performance up for our members that have dialup access, however with the recent upgrades in the Forum software, I have had a chance to add this request into the registration and FAQ sections of the site. If you need help just let me or one of the moderators know. Thanks! :)

Done, my server is down now, but when I can uplink, there will be a smaller on, about 12k, which interestingly enough is what I staerted with!

Thanks for the heads up.

ZR1

I bought the current issue of Corvette and Chevy Trader last night to keep me entertained at work. In it was a '91 yellow :cool ZR1 listed by a dealer. I could find it again if you are interested. I also found a wrecked '91 being offered for parts. Very sad.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom