Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

92 or 89

chadwick88

Corvette
1988, Z51, 4+3, Dark Red
Need some advice if you would, just sold my 79 L-82(offer I couldn't refuse) and already have my eyes on 2 other vettes, problem is I can't decide which is the better buy/ investment. They are both in great condiition inside and out,and drive great, just looking for some advice / input from anyone who may have some insight on either one of these model years, here are the details....

1992....Red on Red Coupe, 52,000 miles, auto, 2 tops, traction control,1 owner, newer tires, garage kept. ...$15,500

1989....Red on Red Coupe, 27,000 miles, auto, Greenwood spollier kit (front, sides, rear), 1 owner , garage kept......$16,000

I know in 92' they came out with the LT1 300 hp engine, and in 89 they were running with the L98 motors...has one been more reliable then the other???...I would put on about 3 to 4 thousand miles a year on either car, basically a week- end driver, definatly not looking to put into shows...thanks in advance for your input, I am leaning towards the 89 basically because of the low miles...

When a car is over 10 years old, "low miles" begins to become more and more irrelevant. I would look at maintanence records, if available, and the overall condition of the car. Often times, something which has been driven LESS is in worse condition. It is not good for the engine to sit - moisture condenses and the rusting begins...

Without seeing either of the cars I personally would lean towards the 92... Actually, make that DEFINITELY go with the 92, you're even saving money.

I would take the 92 unless you can find a nice red vert...

If possible, test drive both of them on the same day, see which one feels like the one you want to have as your Corvette. The interiors are different, you may prefer the flat dash over the ”pod” of the 92 or vice versa. One may squeak more than another, ya never know.

I’d try and get seat time in both.

Keep us posted!

B17Crew
:w

I have a 92 and I am happy with it, The biggest problem with the lt1 is the opti spark system, I replaced mine myself when it went bad but to have a dealer do it is 1200.00 dollars or so. There was a recall on the early 92's for a replacement mine was built in april and did not qualify. The water pump is usually replaced at the same time since it has to come off to get to the opti.

thanks to all for your advice, I have driven both (not on same day) and both ride and feel great. My main concern I guess is with the motors, L98 vs LT1's. I just want to make sure which one is going to give me the least amount of trouble. You never known what could go wrong, but at least if I have an insight on both of these motors track records so far, I would feel better. I do know the 89 sat every winter, thus the low miles, could this be trouble for me down the road as suggested by CraigOry????

With 100K+ miles on my 92, I can't complain about the LT1 except that it needed more power (spoiled by my wives 03).

Just for information purposes, the 92 LT1 is different from the rest.

1. Metal valve covers and slightly different cam/lifter setup - makes the 92 a little more noisy than the 93-96. The black composite covers act as mufflers for this valve train noise.
2. The serpentine belt is double grooved. Only used in 92 and the early 93's. Costs more to replace.
3. The fuel line mounts do not isolate the lines from the body as well as later C4's. In the winter you may get some "fuel line hammer." Annoying at times but it doesn't hurt anything.

None of this is a big deal - just different.

If you decide on the LT1 car, don't hose down the motor. The OptiSpark will be mad at you if you do. ;)

After all that, which one do you like the most?

Both of these sound really good. The first year LT1 engine would not be my 1st choice,UNLESS The water pump & opti-spark have been done!!!!! The L-98 is also a great engine,BUT it also has some things that pop-up now and then!! dist. problems,intake leaks to name a couple. SO, DO WHAT ANY REDBLOODED AMERICAN WOULD DO, FLIP A COIN!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!:w

Man I can't help but look at this thread and think it would be a no brainer for me...

An lt1 for 500 less than an L98?? Assuming comparable chassis condition... I wouldn't think twice.

craig0ry said:
Man I can't help but look at this thread and think it would be a no brainer for me...

An lt1 for 500 less than an L98?? Assuming comparable chassis condition... I wouldn't think twice.

To me , it's not as easy a decision as you think....sure the LT1 will give me more hp, but the L98 has 25,000 less miles on it and comes with a greenwood spoiler kit that set's this 89 apart from a typical C4 body style. Keep in mind I would not even reach the 52,000 mile on the 89 for another 7 years down the road (would be a week end driver). Sounds like I have already made up my mind!!!!!, I sure like the 92's interior though....geez, I need a drink!!!! again thanks for everyone's input, I think I will sleep on it for a night or two

Sounds to me like it is too hard for you to choose. Might as well get them both and sort it out later.

chadwick88 said:
To me , it's not as easy a decision as you think....sure the LT1 will give me more hp, but the L98 has 25,000 less miles on it and comes with a greenwood spoiler kit that set's this 89 apart from a typical C4 body style. Keep in mind I would not even reach the 52,000 mile on the 89 for another 7 years down the road (would be a week end driver). Sounds like I have already made up my mind!!!!!, I sure like the 92's interior though....geez, I need a drink!!!! again thanks for everyone's input, I think I will sleep on it for a night or two
Keep in mind to most other people an aftermarket body kit is butchery... I would not buy a 'vette with one on it...

I would personally like the extra power of the LT1... As I would be road racing and auto crossing that sucker ASAP.

The LT1 is a great motor, besides... its less likely to develop an air leak in the intake system, more power, greater power band, and the 92 has a more reliable dash.

I was very afraid of the LT1, because of the dreaded Opti repair...But I can honestly say, I've had the 93 for going on 3 years now (57K miles) and have had not one repair other than a backup light switch in the ZF6. I know its coming, a water pump and an OPTI, but I still wouldn't give up the HP for this reason. Buy what you wish, they both sound like great cars, but don't let the opti make you buy an L98 when the difference is only $500. I know the torque in the L98 is hiped up all the time, but, my 93 with absolutely roast any 315 tire in 1st, 2nd and catch 3rd. and still keep breathing at 4500rpm. There both great drivers, but buy the newest one you can afford.

I was going back and forth looking at vettes when i bought mine. In the end I liked the 92 better because of the

1) LT1 more power!
2) Minor changes they made to body (ZR1 rear end style)
3) major changes to the intierior , cockpit style. 89 still had the old "square design with the rubber bumper on pass. side dash" right? At least i think they didn't change till 90?

Bob

You will enjoy either. I have an '88 with the L98. It really has a lot of torque and is really quick. However, at highway speeds, it's lack of HP really shows.

I look forward to giving mine to my son in a few years and then I want an LT1 or LT4.

I purchased mine with 88K miles and it is my daily driver. I drive 32 miles of interstate (one way) each day and at 80 mph, I get 22 mpg (without the air on). It now has 120K miles and I have had to replace the ECM but only normal maintenance otherwise - until tomorrow. Tomorrow I am having a transmission seal and speed sensor replaced. One of the steering rack boots has to be replaced also. My mufflers are leaking where the pipes exit so they are installing new FlowMasters :D (really looking forward to that!). The only downside is that I have to drive a minivan to work while the vette is fixed. :cry

In my opinion, 52K miles on either LT1 or L98 is practically new - especially if you are only driving weekends.

Have fun - there is nothing like a vette and there is no forum like CAC.

You have email!

Heya, Chadwick. You have email! (I can't help but to see if I might be able to add to your sweet little delimma!) :D

-J.

chadwick88 said:
Need some advice if you would, just sold my 79 L-82(offer I couldn't refuse) and already have my eyes on 2 other vettes, problem is I can't decide which is the better buy/ investment. They are both in great condiition inside and out,and drive great, just looking for some advice / input from anyone who may have some insight on either one of these model years, here are the details....

1992....Red on Red Coupe, 52,000 miles, auto, 2 tops, traction control,1 owner, newer tires, garage kept. ...$15,500

1989....Red on Red Coupe, 27,000 miles, auto, Greenwood spollier kit (front, sides, rear), 1 owner , garage kept......$16,000

I know in 92' they came out with the LT1 300 hp engine, and in 89 they were running with the L98 motors...has one been more reliable then the other???...I would put on about 3 to 4 thousand miles a year on either car, basically a week- end driver, definatly not looking to put into shows...thanks in advance for your input, I am leaning towards the 89 basically because of the low miles...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom