Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 problems solved . Check this out maybe i can help someone. You all have helped me

fairlesstj

Corvette
1993 ruby coupe
So about 4 weeks ago I bought my 93 ruby from a guy who tells me that has some problems where it wont start back up rught away after you shut it off. He says he thought the map sensor was the problem. I replaced it to no avail.At this point every warning light was always on and was leaking pint of oil daily. Well first I filled the brake fluid and got three of the lights to go off. Next I jacked up the car to check out the oil leak to find it running off the oil filter that was about to fall off. I tightened it and the leak stopped . Then on to the service engine light. I got someone to bring a code reader twenty something codes so we cleared them then got her started ran her and got 12 more codes. Well going over the wires I noticed the coolant temp sensor was melted off. I replaced the sensor and the check engine light hasn't been on since. Let me say I read alot of posts of 93's with same syptoms. Starts runs fine but service asr light comes on then joined by intermittent sys and security lights flashing.Once this occurs shut her of and forget about it restarting anytime soon. Sent computer in to be redone. Now she starts every time.. site.. THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim::beer Btw way I found my 93 ruby on craigslist got it for $2300 she has a salvage title and some issues but I think I did OK. What do you think?

I tested computer by putting in freezer it worked when cold. so sent in for rebuild with computer repaired no mort start issues or wierd codes..

Attachments

• ruby2.jpg
    ruby2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 130
  • march2011.jpg
    march2011.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 127
Congratulations on fixing your car and posting the results here. That step is one many forget once the car is running properly, your post should help others in the future.

So about 4 weeks ago I bought my 93 ruby from a guy who tells me that has some problems where it wont start back up rught away after you shut it off. He says he thought the map sensor was the problem. I replaced it to no avail.At this point every warning light was always on and was leaking pint of oil daily. Well first I filled the brake fluid and got three of the lights to go off. Next I jacked up the car to check out the oil leak to find it running off the oil filter that was about to fall off. I tightened it and the leak stopped . Then on to the service engine light. I got someone to bring a code reader twenty something codes so we cleared them then got her started ran her and got 12 more codes. Well going over the wires I noticed the coolant temp sensor was melted off. I replaced the sensor and the check engine light hasn't been on since. Let me say I read alot of posts of 93's with same syptoms. Starts runs fine but service asr light comes on then joined by intermittent sys and security lights flashing.Once this occurs shut her of and forget about it restarting anytime soon. Well to make a long story short after trying ice on my ecm didn't help I decided to investigate. so I pull the unit take the cover off the eeprom then remove eeprom I am familiar with that type of lock in socket and when I took it out I thought in the back of my mind it was too easy. Well the ecm and eeprom are visually new looking like real new. So when I put her back together I snapped the eeprom in tight and like magic my problem is gone. She starts every time.. I got no service records with the car so I wonder did they replace ecm and never got the eeprom in right then decided to sell? Maybe if so I am glad about it... Whew what a relief I was beginning to question my judgement in buying the car..Now today felt like christmas morning. I love her. I got alot of work yet to do but For 4 weeks I have tried to figure out this problem and now I can move on to other problems. The seats, driver window and slipping tranny then new paint. I would have given up if not for this site.. THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim::beer Btw way I found my 93 ruby on craigslist got it for $2300 she has a salvage title and some issues but I think I did OK. What do you think?

Thats a good deal for a running car...BUT, there is necessary work to be done on the title...
See what it takes to get the salvage title reinstated as a regular state title. The car may have been an insurance claim at one time and sold while it was not drivable so the transfer had to be as salvage, or someone did that to be cheap...Salvage titles can be a problem with resale, insurance and book value.
See what the DMV wants to fix that. It'll be well worth while later on.

$2,300 ? that might be considered Grand Theft, Auto

I agree, looks way to good for 2300 bucks. Even with the issues and r-title. You got a heck of a deal. :beer

I agree, looks way to good for 2300 bucks. Even with the issues and r-title. You got a heck of a deal. :beer
Well she didnt look quite so good when I got her. I spent alot of hours with compound and buffer just to get most the oxidation off. She looked liked she was left out in the desert sun for years with no sun screen.haha The pic hides the scars that are left..

I spent alot of hours with compound and buffer just to get most the oxidation off.
All new cars are two stage paint, so what you buffed off is probably the clear coat, leaving what is typically a very thin color coat. You may have a tough time keeping the remaining paint looking good.

Great deal; a steal, methinks.

Important thing is: You enjoy your Vette. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom