Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 Has landed! couple of questions.... ( n00b )

jotto

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue
Hey guys,
Really happy my 81 has finally arrived. :happyanim:
Got her off the trailer and have a few hopefully minor niggles.
Car starts at first turn of the key but then dies. Had to keep feathering the throttle for about 5 mins before she would idle on her own.

Noticed a popping sound coming from somewhere in the region of the air pump I think, it was hard to pinpoint.

Once warmed it idled but not really smoothly...hunted a little bit. I think I hear the tick of either an exhaust leak or perhaps something else. When I parked her in the garage and left her idling, I checked the lights all of which worked. Went to switch her off and noticed the check engine light was on. Revved engine but it stayed on.

Shut her down and had to leave her as I had errands to run!

AIM and shop manual still not here so looking for some pointers on where to start. Am a bit dubious because of the computer system on board.

Cell phone video, You can hear the popping better slightly towards the end.

Will try and retrieve any codes and post them up. Am I correct, I short A-B on the diagnostic socket and watch the light and count the flashes?

Hello Jotto,

First congratulations with your 81 vette! :upthumbs
I would say, first drive it for a while. And not for 10 minutes but a few houres. If after that you still need to keep the engine alive with the gaspedal then we'll go from there!
For the popping sound, if you think its comming from the Airpump, remove the belt and see if you're still hearing the sound.

On mine the middle exhaust gasket on the passengerside is leaking but that makes a different sound (I can see it because the A/F ratio meter is all over the place on that side).

Greetings Peter

Check your spark plug wires and make sure they are all on the spark plug. One of mine came off a couple of weeks ago and I heard the popping/ticking noise from the wire firing. This would cause a rough idle as well as check engine light

BBerry

Is the choke engaging? Is a high-idle coming on? If not, that could be cause for it dying until it is warmed up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom