Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

94 starts briefly and dies

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
My 94 just started idling real low then drops down more and dies within a few second of starting. I noticed this Sunday after a five hour drive. The idle would drop but not die before this occasionally since I started driving for the season a few weeks ago. I cleaned the IAC and it ran fine after that. I took it out for about 20 minutes after that and when I got back it started and ran fine and it started and ran fine yesteday evening but when I got back after going up the road about 10 or 15 miles and back, it did it again, which makes me think its doing it or doing it worse when it gets warmed up or hot. Not sure if its the IAC acting up where maybe it just cooled down after I cleaned it but there was a big difference after the cleaning. I cleaned the EGR about two years ago when the idle got rough but it didnt make much difference but eventually straightened itself out after I drove it more often with better gas. What does the Map sensor do? also what affect would the tps have on start up and whats the possibility of just having a bad IAC? Id like to get a good starting point before I start throwing parts at it. Thanks for any help

I was recently having this same problem with my '89. Rough idle once the car warmed up, low RPMs, having to put it in neutral or park at stop lights, got to where I didn't dare give it any gas, limped my way to the mechanic, died several times on the way there, sfinally wouldn't start at all unless I let it sit till it cooled down, etc, etc. I took it our local Corvette specialts here and they checked EGR, PCV, IAC, throttle body...all the usual suspects and all was well. They then ohms tested the injectors and found they were well out of specs and failing. They are in the process of being replaced.

I really hope its not the injectors, it seems to only be at start up after its been driven, Its cold now and I started it about 20 minutes ago and it fired up and ran good, let it run for a few minutes, shut it off and started it again and it fired up and ran good so I think its only after it gets warmed up but if I press the accelerator to the floor before I start it up after its hot it does ok. Im still thinking or hoping its the IAC.
Thanks for the reply.

My 94 Z28 did that once.It ended up being a bad ignition module.It is located on the coil bracket(on an F body).Make sure when you buy one,get it with a lifetime warranty since i have had to replace it a couple of times.

I really hope its not the injectors, it seems to only be at start up after its been driven, Its cold now and I started it about 20 minutes ago and it fired up and ran good, let it run for a few minutes, shut it off and started it again and it fired up and ran good so I think its only after it gets warmed up but if I press the accelerator to the floor before I start it up after its hot it does ok. Im still thinking or hoping its the IAC.
Thanks for the reply.
If no codes are present I'd put it on a scanner and see whats going on in Data Stream mode!! Temp sensor in the water pump housing will cause your problem more often than not!!:thumb

:upthumbs

Startin Issue

Thanks for the reply.

HOw did this end up? I have a similar problem where the car starts but it dies immediatly afterward unless you give it gas. When the gas peddal is released, it dies. Any help would be good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom