Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

94 vette distributor

S

survivor

I am interested in buying a 94 with the 5.7 v8 and have read there had been a lot of problems with the original optispark ignitions and was wondering if there was any way to know if the one I would like to purchase has the replacement which is supposed to be vented and enclosed? Thanks

I honestly do not believe that would or should be a "deal breaker" as the Opti Spark gets a bad rep in general only because its not an item that has any inbetween right or failed...it works or it don't. That simple.
There are several good replacement units, all of which are available and everyone has had both good and bad results like any other aftermarket part.

The Opti is a great concept. Its fault is that its fragile and cannot be abused by water, chemicals, steam cleaning etc. There are other ways of protecting the Opti by adding shields, covers and by modifying gaurds around the water pump and other things.

I would'nt worry over which Opti is in there. As long as you take care of whatever it is, chances are it'll be fine.

did you buy the car? the new vented version will have 2 small hoses usually going to the bottom of the opti and being routed up the drivers side of the engine. drawing air from the snorkel thru the opti via a vacuum on drivers side of intake. just dont hose the engine down till you can prevent getting the opti wet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom