Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

96 rear end sways

alapkoff

Corvette
96 with grand sport motor
I have a 96 coupe with the Grand Sport motor, 6 spped with 8,000 miles on it.. After the car is run for a few miles, the rear of the car jumps to the right under acceleration, and then back to the left when you let off the gas. It is very noticable, but I have had it to two shops, and they find nothing wrong. This is my 3rd vette, and I have never experienced anything like this before. Any help is appreciated.

Rear sway

Welcome to a great and friendly site. Lots of good info.
Check the tire pressures. If they're OK, you likely have a shot bushing, a de-laminated belt or need a 4 wheel alignment.
Kyte's alignment in Rising Sun MD (way up north near the intersection of Rt 1 and 273) did an outstanding job on my '95. About $90 + parts. You'll need an appointment.
Good luck.

You might also check the transverse leaf spring for cracking, or not being fastened at the ends. My swaying turned out to be a cracked leaf.

Check the rear sway bar. Check the bushings for it. There are two bolts holding a bracket which hold the bushing in place. Also, check each end of the sway bar.

You'll probably have to remove the spare tire but you shouldn't have to remove the carrier just to see the brackets.

Could also be bad shocks. I have a 96 LT4 that jumps around to the to right when it goes over the cracks on the pavement. I had a look under the car suspecting it to be a crack in the mono leaf but found nothing. Also checked the sway bar and it looked good too. I'm not able to work on the car for a few more weeks but I was told that it would mostlikely be the shocks.

Make sure the C beam bolts are tight this is a common problem.
Here is a link to a product that cures this kicking to the right.
If the motor or transmission has been out they did not get those bolts tight
http://www.zfdoc.com/c4beamplate.htm

One bad shock would definitely cause a sway when you hit a bump, or make and abrupt turn.

Glenn
:w

Loose Wheel Bearing or Loose Half Shaft U-Joints can do the same thing too!!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom