Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

98 Vette Radiator Drain Plug

R

rbcgb

I am planning on changing the coolant in my 98 vette. I located the plastic winged drain plug on the passenger side of the radiator and tried to loosen it by hand but it wouldn't budge. Before I broke something I figured I would look through my Helm service manual. The manual says "remove the plug", which isn't too helpful. Do I need a special tool? Will pliers work? Do I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise?

Most petcock drain plugs are opposite of screw threads. Turn clockwise to open.

Hi rbcgb -

The radiator drain cock has normal threads - remove counter-clockwise.

It should only be tightened to 18 lb in.

best regards -

mqqn

My OEM radiator petcock turns left 1/8-1/4 turn and pulls out to drain. Push in and turn right to tighten. Never seen any left hand thread petcocks.

rbcgb,

To drain the antifreeze in my 1999 C5, I turned the radiator petcock 1/4 turn counter clockwise, then pulled the petcock outward. I have seen posts where C5 owners broke the petcock by trying to turn it further.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I was able to open the drain without incident. I only wish the service manual was a bit more clear on the procedure. It just shows that there is no substitute for advice from someone who has been there before.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom